I may have to get rid of one of my kitties - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Unhappy I may have to get rid of one of my kitties

I havenít slept a full night in years ever since we got our Tink. Every single night she wakes me up between 2:30 to 3 AM, and I just canít take it anymore.

Iíve tried sound machines to drown out the cries at night and since it got warm. I even installed a big fan in the window and turned it on high. It worked for a while but now Tink is either no longer afraid of it or just doesnít care anymore and has started waking me up again. Last night was absolutely the worst and sounded like she was in some sort of trouble.

Iíd like to lock her in another room, but she can get really loud plus she will not let anybody touch her and I canít catch her. I just donít know what to do because Iím literally becoming ill from lack of sleep and I may have to take her to the pound.

I need more than 4 hours sleep and may have to take a train ride someplace in a sleeper just to catchup, if that's possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 12:11 AM
Cat

Please don't abandon your cat!
Especially for such a easy solution of a problem!

How old is she?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 12:24 AM
Senior Cat

I'm sorry you are having trouble with Tink- this must be a really tough problem to deal with. Has she been spayed? If not, she may be calling to other cats. Have you tried playing with her for a bit and then giving her dinner right before bed? Playtime and feeding immediately before I got into bed was really helpful for getting my cats to stop waking me up at night. Are you able to shut your bedroom door instead of confining her in a single room?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 01:33 AM
Cat Addict

Hi, haven't seen you around in a while! It's sad it's under such circumstances...

Can you give more details on the meowing, and what you mean by no one can touch her? Is she feral?

Does she only wake you up once in the night? How much meowing are we talking about, and what does it sound like? Could she be spotting animals outside? Have you tried shutting her in another room, or even a crate/pen at night? Have you tried playing with her a lot before bed to tire her out? Have you considered contacting a behaviorist or made sure there is nothing medically wrong with her by taking her in for a vet visit?

Blaze used to meow a lot some nights... I found if I called out to him or went and cuddled him he relaxed. It was sort of like he'd forgotten people were in the house since it was so quite and he wanted some reassurance. But you say no one can pick her up/catch her...?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 04:24 AM
Cool Cat

I would also ask... how are you responding to her meowing? Do you acknowledge her, give her attention (positive or negative,) or reply back? Because if so, you may be unintentionally training her to continue the behavior.

Zephyr used to be very loud at night. He didn't really need the reassurance - although some cats do - he was just doing what worked. When I started ignoring him, he stopped bothering me.

Have you considered wearing ear plugs at night?

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 04:57 AM
Cat Addict

or using any diphenhydramine/zzzzquil? you'll sleep right through her waking you up and it isn't addictive. (I prefer Tylenol PM because I take Tylenol anyway, plus zzzzquil tastes hideous.)
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

There's always the old vacuum cleaner trick, works on some cats. Keep a vacuum close to your bed. When she starts meowing, either turn it on or plug it in.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 06:05 AM
Cat Addict

So many ideas here, just see which works. I was reading reviews on automatic feeder, and have read some that says the feeder actually helped to keep kitties tummy satisfied and quiet throughout the night and not waking owners up too early for breakfast. I'm not saying you need an automatic feeder, maybe you could try leaving some food during the night, kitty may just be hungry? I like the ear plug idea actually.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowFatPat View Post
Please don't abandon your cat!
Especially for such a easy solution of a problem!

How old is she?
I can't rember how old. she was born outside under a shed I think maybe 4 or 5 years ago, but she's been doing this for at least as long as shes been in the house.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel View Post
Hi, haven't seen you around in a while! It's sad it's under such circumstances...

Can you give more details on the meowing, and what you mean by no one can touch her? Is she feral?

Does she only wake you up once in the night? How much meowing are we talking about, and what does it sound like? Could she be spotting animals outside? Have you tried shutting her in another room, or even a crate/pen at night? Have you tried playing with her a lot before bed to tire her out? Have you considered contacting a behaviorist or made sure there is nothing medically wrong with her by taking her in for a vet visit?

Blaze used to meow a lot some nights... I found if I called out to him or went and cuddled him he relaxed. It was sort of like he'd forgotten people were in the house since it was so quite and he wanted some reassurance. But you say no one can pick her up/catch her...?
She is feral and and is traumatized after watcheing her mother and two siblings brutally murdered by two Pitbulls. she will meow until she wakes me up and will vary the intensity until she does.

She will not let me pet or comfort her and I usually just tell her to shush, but by that time I can not go back to sleep and end up wondering around the house trying not to wake anybody else until Its time to go to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page