Cat trees? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Cat trees?

Are there any certain brands or types of cat trees that you recommend?

We used to have one years ago and our two cats loved it. We got rid of it last year because it started looking pretty tattered.

Artie always sleeps on top of the dog crates in the back family room and we never see him. I thought maybe if we got him a new cat tree for the living room, he'd actually hang out near us sometimes. Plus with the new kitten coming in a couple weeks, it can't hurt to have more fun stuff to scratch!

I'd like to find something affordable but also made for larger cats. Some of the ones I looked at online seemed more for kittens and small cats. Artie is a big boy!

I know that we can make our own but I'm a little nervous about that because neither one of us are very handy and we don't have a lot of tools on hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Premier Cat

Wayfair has a good selection of cat trees, sometimes at GREAT prices. Many of us bought an Amarkat tree some months ago when someone here recommended it. They offer free shipping, too. I think everyone that bought one was pretty happy with the brand and quality. Check them out. If you find a great deal share the info, please!

Cat Trees | Wayfair - Buy Cat Tower, Cat Tree Online=
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Cat

I'll look there. Thanks. My biggest concern is sturdiness and big enough platforms for my big boy, Artie. A lot of the reviews I've looked at for trees on Amazon have said that they were only suitable for small cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 11:47 AM
Jr. Cat

I was just looking. Does anyone have a hideaway or hangout from "CatIt?" Do Banana leaves really not shred, and are they safe?

My cheap pole is looking pretty bad and the guys wanna pole-dance!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 12:30 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah00 View Post
I'll look there. Thanks. My biggest concern is sturdiness and big enough platforms for my big boy, Artie. A lot of the reviews I've looked at for trees on Amazon have said that they were only suitable for small cats.
Even the best trees recommend placement in a corner. It's just physics. If he is really big, I would also secure it to the walls. Almost any tree can be very secure if you do this!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 01:01 PM
Cat Addict

I kept checking Craigs list twice a day until I found a really tall sturdy one for $50. Now I am one of those people who's cats don't use it any more!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Premier Cat

My concern in buying a "used" cat tree is you have no idea what Germs or Diseases you might be bringing in...
Maybe I'm just being paranoid...
I just know I'd feel better buying a new one!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 09:54 PM
Jr. Cat

I got one from amazon . One of my cats is 16 .5 pounds . I got them a decent sized one with the 3 high perches and 2 houses . All they do with it is lay in the perches . I have never seen them inside of one of the houses . I guess they just want somewhere high to sleep .
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 10:33 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7cats2dogs View Post
My concern in buying a "used" cat tree is you have no idea what Germs or Diseases you might be bringing in...
A store can bring in stuff too... it's not like they're in a germ free environment no matter where you go. When you get the tree second hand just make sure the home it's coming from is clean and that the cat tree looks decent.

The cat tree I have is so large it doesn't need to sit in a corner... it could sit in the middle of the room it I wanted. But it weighs like 300 pounds. In my case I saved 450+ dollars since it was only 50 dollars... of course I'd never have bought such a massive tree at full price. I thought I knew the size of the tree I was looking at when I went to pick it up (I'd seem others in person), but turns out the one I got was a largest model -- a foot taller and much much wider. So make sure you ask for the dimensions before going to get a tree second hand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
and

Last edited by Carmel; 09-05-2013 at 10:38 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 08:05 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel View Post
A store can bring in stuff too... it's not like they're in a germ free environment no matter where you go. When you get the tree second hand just make sure the home it's coming from is clean and that the cat tree looks decent.

The cat tree I have is so large it doesn't need to sit in a corner... it could sit in the middle of the room it I wanted. But it weighs like 300 pounds. In my case I saved 450+ dollars since it was only 50 dollars... of course I'd never have bought such a massive tree at full price. I thought I knew the size of the tree I was looking at when I went to pick it up (I'd seem others in person), but turns out the one I got was a largest model -- a foot taller and much much wider. So make sure you ask for the dimensions before going to get a tree second hand.

Carmel,
The tree you have is MASSIVE!! While it is really cool looking, you could set it in the middle of a field and it would STILL be sturdy!! lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page