Need examples / instructions for barrier doors - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Need examples / instructions for barrier doors

Hi Everyone! I recently rescued a beautiful white male cat .I'm having great difficulty with my oldest (16) male who is insulin dependent/ with kidney disease .He is about 14lbs and very strong. I've been nursing my new guy who went from 9lbs to about 12lbs.He's slightly anemic and has been on 2 different antibiotics to treat low white count.(will be returning to vet next week for blood test). The vet thinks new guy any where from 5yrs to 10 yrs. I have a 3yr old male who came to me as a kitten and my oldest had a long time adjusting to him. My 16 year old was raised in a multicat household and was the last of 4 at 1 time. He was always rough with the other cats & all are fixed. Unfortunately my oldest attempted to climb me when I was holding the new guy resulting in my visit to the E.R. I never had any problems socializing any of my past cats. I have a small apt with a bedroom and living room. I added 2 cat pheromone diffusers. I've been switching the rooms & just recently the 16 yr.old attacked the 3yr old.The 3yr old is welcoming to the new guy but when my oldest is with him he is getting attacked. My 16 yr old has become my stalker he follows me all over my apt. I can't help but be nervous he's going to attack me.I'm interested in learning how to make a door barrier and would gladly welcome all advice. I just added a cat tree .Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome! You certainly have your hands full!

When I had to separate my cats, I bought 3 cheap baby gates and stacked them one on top of the other. I had another door to use, so I could completely close off this one.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Premier Cat

Marguerite, You really have your hands full! There's some really good threads here on introducing cats and it would be good to read about re-directed aggression as well, also many threads...
Look in 'Forums', under 'Behavior'...
Also, under 'Search' type in 'DIY/Gates' for different ideas, hopefully it works!
Everything from a screen door installed inside to baby gates can work to keep everyone separated.
I know you sound very busy, but if you can get the cats tired out with good play sessions, it might help...
Good Luck!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 11:54 PM
Kitten

room divider

I use second hand room dividers. Look for heavy ones that can not easily knock over and secure with wood blocks if needed.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks everyone,i really appreciate your first hand advice & areas to search on the forum..i'll keep you posted
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 12:23 PM
Cat

To keep my dogs out of my cat's room, I have one of those gates with a little cat door that a person can swing open and walk through. I wish someone would invent a similar swing-open gate that is as tall as the doorway. It would be great to separate cats but still let a person walk through. Kind of like the screen door but not permanent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page