Switching from Kitten Attract to regular litter - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Switching from Kitten Attract to regular litter

I've read through some older threads on switching litter types, brands, etc. What I'm specifically interested in is going from Kitten Attract to another type of litter without an attractant. I was thinking of using Cat Attract, since it is made by the same company and I thought it might be similar in texture, and also had the attractant. And I don't want to spend a fortune on litter, and the Dr. Elsey's brands seem kind of expensive.

I have two five month old kittens. So far (knock on wood) they have not had any litter box issues. They were used to the Kitten Attract when I got them, so that's what I have been using. But I've noticed it doesn't have any kind of odor control. I usually scoop once, sometimes twice a day, and I've been sprinkling in some baking soda to help with smell.

We don't have a major odor issue here, but I notice a musty smell coming from the room where the litter box is. I've read that covered boxes hold in smell more, and that's what we have. It's a deep box with a cover, and I have two diggers (literally, I think they are trying to dig to China before they do their business!) but at least they cover well.

I know I need to gradually change, but does anyone have any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 02:00 PM
Premier Cat

I've never used any thing special for kitty litter. I buy good quality clumping litter (Tidy Cats) and nothing special. Just mix it 50/50 with what you have on hand and continue to top off with the regular stuff. Should not be an issue at all. If you scoop twice a day and they don't mind the covered boxes I would not worry about it. Your babies are still babies - in another 6 months you may want to consider another box or uncovering this one. Two cats and one covered box can be dicey.

Richmond?? We are practically neighbors!!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Hello neighbor!

Thanks for your reply. I think I used Tidy Cats with our last cat and I don't remember having any issues with that. That is probably the brand I will end up using again since it is available in more places than just pet stores.

I have considered adding a second box. It's not that we don't have room, it's more of a keeping the dog out issue. We tried keeping the lid off for a while, and litter ended up everywhere. I may need to go with an even deeper box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly524 View Post
Hello neighbor!

Thanks for your reply. I think I used Tidy Cats with our last cat and I don't remember having any issues with that. That is probably the brand I will end up using again since it is available in more places than just pet stores.

I have considered adding a second box. It's not that we don't have room, it's more of a keeping the dog out issue. We tried keeping the lid off for a while, and litter ended up everywhere. I may need to go with an even deeper box.
Petco carries great high sided boxes, or you can use one of those storage boxes with a slit cut in the front so they can enter and exit. (Pic from internet

Attachment 29106

I use the high sided boxes from Petco with puppy pads to catch occasional overflow edge pee-er.

Attachment 29114

Last edited by Marcia; 01-04-2014 at 09:22 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Well, I think I was probably over thinking the whole litter switching! I bought some Tidy Cats yesterday, and poured it in this morning. Before I could even think about mixing the two together, Nash climbed in and pooped!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 07:38 AM
Premier Cat

See?! The whole cat thing is easy peasy!! Happy scooping!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page