To adopt, or not to adopt? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

To adopt, or not to adopt?

Hubby and I are considering adopting a kitten who has just lost one of her rear legs. She's 8 weeks old right now, and had the surgery today. She will go back to the shelter in a day or two, and then we'll get to meet her.

The potential problem? The litterbox. We HAVE to have a top-entry box because of Fergie insisting on peeing standing up. I'm not worried about the immediate time frame, since we could keep the kitten in her own room for a while, but soon enough all the girls would be together so we have to have litterboxes that will work for all. I know that cats who lose a rear leg are still able to jump, just not as high, so I'm thinking this should work? The box is about 14 inches high.

Thoughts?

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Premier Cat

No problem with the litter box! Kitties with 3 legs triumph and overcome just about any obstacle you can imagine. They even excel at things you would think impossible. She (or he) will have no problem, and IF he does you can just get a different box with high sides.

I use high sided boxes with puppy pads in the front because mine are edge pee-ers. They will sometimes step in then let ér rip - right over the side. The puppy pads catch all that!

Attachment 29209

Do it! Adopt the one that others will overlook because she is not "perfect"!!

Last edited by Marcia; 01-04-2014 at 09:22 AM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 09:09 PM
Senior Cat

What she said hehe 8-P
GO FOR IT!

Jen - owned by ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lisbeth
RIP Miss Effie, Mme Coco, Basil, Horse & Toby
Be Happy in your new forever home Mr Tyrion

Last edited by marie73; 09-10-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 10:03 PM
Cool Cat

You can always put steps next to the litterbox, so she can climb easier.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 10:14 PM
Cool Cat

In my experience doing volunteer work with cats, kitties with limb differences quickly learn to do just about anything that any other cat can do. They are remarkably adaptable little creatures. Three-legged cats can climb and jump (and run and play) too. I don't think there would be any problem with the scenario you describe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Yay, good to know! We'll see how it goes when we meet her - hubby thinks we're just meeting her to spend time with her and comfort her if she needs it, but I think I might be in love already

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 07:19 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKitties View Post
Yay, good to know! We'll see how it goes when we meet her - hubby thinks we're just meeting her to spend time with her and comfort her if she needs it, but I think I might be in love already
Ha! How shrewd you are! I hope all goes well - let us know! And, of course, pics are a must! Which leg is missing?

Hubby used to tag along with me to Petsmart until the time I said "lets just look at the kitties" and saw 15 year old Winnie there. I burst out crying and cried all the way home. He said "what's one more? - go ahead and get her" (he's a wonderful man!). He NEVER comes with me anymore, though, and I avoid the kitty cages now. For some reason the kittens and the young adults don't necessarily move me, but put a senior that old in front of me and I just melt.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 07:32 AM
Jr. Cat

My vet's office has a three-legged kitty. Sometime brought him in after one of his back legs was crushed by a car. The vet amputated and the little guy became the office pet. He adapted rather quickly and is often found lounging on the counter out one of the waiting chairs.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

It's a rear leg that's gone - the right I believe. We're going to meet her tonight, and I'm crossing my fingers! She went home from the vet the day after her surgery and has been doing well, using the litterbox and eating with no problem. The lady who runs the shelter asked me about making a prosthetic leg for her, but I think she'd be better off with just the three, right? It was one thing to make a wheelchair for a kitty with two broken back legs, but another thing entirely to make a prosthetic for a kitty who will learn to adapt to having three legs.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 09:15 AM
Premier Cat

You might like this story. I have a ROKU so can stream the Smithsonian channel. They had a great story about a cat that had ground breaking surgery after his rear feet were shorn off. This article is a news story covering it. I would not worry about a prosthetic leg for kitty - she'll do fine!!

Oscar the Cat Gets Two Prosthetic Legs - ABC News
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page