5 month old kitten is not accepting 14 week old kitten? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Send a message via MSN to squeekers
5 month old kitten is not accepting 14 week old kitten?

I brought home a 14 week old kitten today. All the cats except my 5 month old Kitten eden likes her. When Eden is brought near the kitten she will hiss, scream, and pee herself as she runs away. Is this something that will stop? I dont get what her problem is....how can I work with this to get them to at least live together?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 07:29 AM
Cat Addict

I think it will get better. Sounds like the 5 month old just needed a longer introduction period to the new kitten maybe. Maybe if they could get acquainted through the door slowly, they might do better? Of at this point, since they are all together, I guess maybe Eden's nose is just out of joint a little, and hopefully she will come around soon. I'd say you just have to give it time, cats don't usually take to other cats right away, and a day isn't much time, you need to give it way more time before deciding they can't live together. It sounds like a pretty normal reaction for Eden to hiss and not accept the kitten right away. Don't worry, she will probably come around, she is just going to need a little time.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 08:05 AM
Premier Cat

Probably would have been wise to keep them separated so Eden can get used to the idea of another kitty in the house. Some cats are super sensitive and not very accepting of new animals, or even any kind of change. I would give Eden plenty of affection and "her" space and force the issue. Keep kitten isolated away from her for awhile and let her slowly get used to the idea for a few days. She may accept the kitten in time, or she may not. Some cats just are like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

You should never just toss cats together. You need to start over and do a regular slow introduction.

Cat-to-Cat Introductions | Little Big Cat

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 09:10 AM
Cat

I just posted a big long reply and lost it... So I'll just sum it up I guess. Ugh.

My first cats were Steppenwolf and Artie. They were about the same age as your two with Steppy being the older one.

Steppy wanted to kill Artie when they first met. I had expected an easy introduction like I always had with my dogs and instead I ended up with a scratched up arm, a terrified kitten, and a formerly sweet cat who turned into a scary stalking panther. We didn't think we were going to be able to keep Artie.

We had to keep Artie in our bedroom for weeks until the tension died down. After they started pawing each other under the door, we started letting them have supervised visits. They would be fine and even start playing a little and as soon as your back was turned, Artie would start squealing and Steppy would have him in a headlock and be chomping gleefully on his head. I walked around constantly clapping my hands to separate them.

I don't remember when exactly it happened but they became best friends. I've never had two animals with a closer bond.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I dont have space to keep them all separated. My two adult males took to her right away now they are best buds. Eden today will stare at her and growl. When I fed them last night Eden ate on top of the TV stand, and the kitten ate on the kitty climber they saw each other about 20 feet apart and they both ate. So maybe thats a good sign
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Premier Cat

Do you have a living area and a bedroom? Or bathroom? Keep them separated that way. Then as Marie said with the info she posted from Little Big Cat that a vet wrote, slow intros. They will be best friends in no time. Otherwise you are going to have issues between your cats. Another good source, a book, Think Like A Cat by Pamela Johnson Bennett. Helps you see the world from a cats perspective.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I would have to lock her in the only bathroom I have. I was playing with all of them earlier, with one of those toys on a string/stick. The new kitten and Eden were 2 feet apart playing with it. Only when she got to close did Eden growl. Then went back to playing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page