Cats keeping me up at night! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Cats keeping me up at night!

So I have had my one cat for a little over a year and another we recently got at a the shelter I volunteer at to keep him company. Both cats are great normally but at night they are little terrors.

I try to tire them out before bed but it doesn't seem to work too well. The cat we've had longer (Sebastian) plays less now that we have Charlie. Charlie is pretty active but if Sebastian has more energy he is easily swayed to bother me as well.

I don't want to lock the cats out of my room since they both are pretty attached to me and howl when they are locked out (thus waking up my roommates). I was wondering if there was a way to get them to not bug me so much when they are hungry in the morning or if there were any good suggestions for tiring Sebastian out more.

Also of note: I recently started portioning their food and only feeding them twice a day. Sebastian had gained some weight (he is already a big cat) and I didn't want him to become unhealthy. Also of note: Charlie scarfs down all his food and Sebastian's so I basically have to watch them eat so Sebastian will get enough food.

Here is my typical view in the morning. Charlie is the orange one and Seabass is grey/black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 01:57 PM
Jr. Cat

I don't have much experience with this since I don't let Isa in my room at night, but would an automatic feeder help? That way they wouldn't be waking you up for feeding at least...

I have also noticed that Isa is a lot calmer at night if the house is completely dark. At first I left a light on in the bathroom for her but then noticed that when I forgot to turn it on, she was a lot calmer and slept longer. I also got black out blinds for her room and that keeps her sleeping (or at least quiet), usually until I wake up at 6:40 AM. I open all of the blinds and such at that time and we have a little playtime and I shower before I give her breakfast (My reasoning there is so that she doesn't associate me waking up with her getting food immediately...she may associate me showering with getting fed after but I am more ok with that).

ETA: I just noticed that you said you have to watch them eat so the feeder wouldn't work. Maybe getting them to associate something else besides you waking up with them getting fed would help though...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Cat Addict

I feed my cats their biggest meal, right before bedtime. This works like a charm. But, one is a little jerk, and he still is somewhat of a kitten, 1 1/2, and he will keep me up, so he sleeps in his own room at night. If he were to free roam, he would keep us all up. But we have trained him from a young kitten that nighttime is bedtime, and for the most part, he does sleep. He does start crying about a half hour before it's time to wake up, but I will take that over waking me up all night long. My oldest cat slept in the bathroom for the first year of her life, because she was awful about waking me up. I did not feel one bit guilty, because she did cry a bit at first, but she had a nice, comfy rug to curl up on and she slept all night, and I got my sleep. I do not think it's a bad thing to lock them up at night. And my cats are spoiled rotten and I do not feel like i am mistreating them one bit about locking them up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

So the big meal at bed time is working! They seem much more willing to sleep through most of the night. The 1.5 year old is still waking up at around 6 but that is way better than keeping me up all night.

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page