phish is still peeing on my bed..... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Cat

phish is still peeing on my bed.....

phish is still peeing on my bed.....

Got 2 litter boxes now but he is still peeing on my bed.... I am at a point where i am wondering if i should give him to someone... because i get angry around him.... like i don't want him around me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 01:14 PM
Cat

Have you taken him to the vet? Sometimes peeing in odd places can be an indicator of health issues. If it's not health issues, it could be something mental/emotional. Have you changed anything in the house recently? Cats can be very temperamental. You change something that you don't think is a big deal, but to them it's like the end of the world, which can cause behavioral issues like improper elimination.

Please don't re-home your cat over something that can be fixed. Would you give a child up for adoption for peeing their pants?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Cat

It's really stressing me out and i don't know what i am doing wrong... he has done it right after i changed the litter... He comes up to me acting cute and rubbing on my leg.... I like "no... you peed on my bed.. thats where i sleep" I think he is doing it because he wants wet food.

I don't have a vet... What happens if i take him to a vet and nothing is wrong?

Last edited by threecatguy; 09-22-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by threecatguy View Post
It's really stressing me out and i don't know what i am doing wrong... he has done it right after i changed the litter... He comes up to me acting cute and rubbing on my leg.... I like "no... you peed on my bed.. thats where i sleep" I think he is doing it because he wants wet food.

I don't have a vet... What happens if i take him to a vet and nothing is wrong?
You changed the litter, as in a new brand? Or you changed it as in you cleaned it? Sometimes you need to scrub the box clean. My fiance's old cat, Chinchilla(RIP) would defecate outside the box to let me know to scrub it down. If you changed brands, then he may not like that particular brand. It happens.

If he's given a clean bill of health, then it's more than likely something behavioral. You just need to figure out what brought on that new behavior. It could be the litter box. Or maybe you moved something into a new place or it's something as silly as you bringing a new scent into the house.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Jr. Cat

It could be a number of things. But like others have posted....take him to the vet first to rule out any physical problems. Then go from there. Good luck !

Dogs Have Owners...Cats Have Staff
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 03:08 PM
Senior Cat

Yes, a vet check is really important to rule out a health problem, like a UTI. If it is a UTI you need to take him sooner rather than later, as special food and medications are prescribed to treat minor infections, but serious blockages of the urethra often require immediate surgical intervention. The longer you wait to get a cat with a UTI checked at the vet, the more likely the latter scenario is. He may not have a UTI or other medical issue, but you're always better to get the cat checked first than to assume that the problem is behavioural.

If the problem is behavioural there are still ways to solve it without resorting to giving up your cat. I understand your frustration, I currently have a foster cat that pees on my bed too, but cats don't have the ability to rationalize their behaviour like people do. Your cat isn't peeing on your bed to spite you or make you angry, and it's unlikely that he connects you being upset with him and ignoring him with his inappropriate toileting habits. If his peeing on the bed is a behavioural problem that's stress-related, as these sorts of issues very often are in cats, snubbing him, being angry with him, or even having a difficult time liking him because of the issue is only going to make it worse--cats pick up on those sorts of feelings, though they don't understand the reason for them. Another possibility is that your cat still smells his pee on your bed, even though you can't. Cats will pee in places where they've peed previously, so it's really important to clean anything a cat pees on extremely thoroughly with an enzyme cleaner, like Nature's Miracle. Sometimes multiple cleanings are necessary in order to remove the odour to a point where the cat can no longer smell it.

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 02:42 PM
Senior Cat

Also try to use blacklight or uv light to help to clean ALL the urine. Nature's Miracle was truly a miracle for us when our cat got crystal/bladder issue last year. She peed everywhere including wall, pile of clothes and of course the mattress. We had to confined her in the bathroom for a while until she got better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kitties!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 03:43 PM
Premier Cat

Nature Miracle works really well. Make sure you soak the area where he peed, not just rub it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 05:35 PM
Jr. Cat

Agree with what previous posters have said...also, can you keep him out of your bedroom altogether? That way you would at least have an unsoiled bed and maybe would help you be less frustrated?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 05:55 PM
Banned

Some cats are very particular about their litter. My cat, Cuddles (may he be found one of these days) will only accept Fresh Step Cat Litter. My cat now, Skittles, doesn't care which litter I bring home, just as long as I keep the box clean, she will use the litter box with whatever litter is in it.

As for your cat using your bed as a litter box, rule out a UTI first by taking him to the vet. Then put him in the room with the litter box for a few days to a week so he gets the idea of using the litter box. If the litter box is on the bathroom, he should get the idea to go in the bathroom. My cat, Skittles, went in the bathroom even when the litter box was full and I hadn't cleaned it. I didn't get mad because I was happy that she associated the bathroom as the place to do her business.

But please take him to the vet to rule out a UTI. Cats going other places other than the litter box means that there is something wrong. You can get him to use the litter box while he has the UTI. I got Skittles to use the litter box by giving her treats every time she used the litter box and I was showing her that I was actively trying to get help getting her to the vet, I am still waiting to hear about the Jimmy Fund. But Skittles is still using the litter box and being very patient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page