Cats vs. kittens - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Cats vs. kittens

I do not understand those people who say they would like cats if they just stayed kittens. Keep in mind that I love both cats and kittens, but seriously, most older cats have learned the basic rules of civilization while kittens are, well, kittens.

My three kittens have knocked all the books off one of our bookshelves, knocked over my 5 ft. tall rubber tree plant AND its pot, scattering dirt everywhere and broken my kid's piggy bank.

And that was just this morning.

Luckily, I have a sense of humor.

The best part is how they skitter away from the scene of the crime every time and then sit washing themselves like, "Who did that? It disrupted my bath."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 04:19 PM
Senior Cat

Lol, yes, kittens are a handful! I myself prefer cats because they have set personalities, understand "no"--even if they still choose to ignore me, and aren't generally bouncing off the walls at all hours of the day and night. They're pretty darn cute though, aren't they?

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 04:28 PM
Jr. Cat

I would gladly trade the kitten stage mine are in right now for two adult cats. I've always thought that if I ever decided I wanted another cat, I'd go to the shelter and adopt an older cat (2-3 ish). But then this cat took up at my moms and had kittens under her shed. She found a home for momma and 2 of the babies. Guess who ended up with the other 2.... I love the little brats to death, but I just wish they'd calm down some! They're only 5 months old, so we've got a ways to go! I may just go crazy in the next few months!

And my mom is one of those crazies who likes the kitten stage. I told her I'd trade my 2 kittens for all 3 of her adult cats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 04:56 PM
Senior Cat

Kittens can be diplomatically described as clinically insane! Now if I could transplant the mature, well-behaved, gentle disposition of an adult cat into the body of a kitten, that I could handle (maybe). But caring for a pet that retains kitten-like behaviour for its entire life, that sounds like punishment suited for a really evil person (like people who talk at the theatre).

Caretaker of two black cats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 05:01 PM
Premier Cat

I do have Winston, who at two years old, still thinks it is a kitten. He was a rowdy baby, and now he is slightly less rowdy. Annoys Nyska, who is into the I am a diva princess don't play with me stage.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly524 View Post
I would gladly trade the kitten stage mine are in right now for two adult cats. I've always thought that if I ever decided I wanted another cat, I'd go to the shelter and adopt an older cat (2-3 ish). But then this cat took up at my moms and had kittens under her shed. She found a home for momma and 2 of the babies. Guess who ended up with the other 2.... I love the little brats to death, but I just wish they'd calm down some! They're only 5 months old, so we've got a ways to go! I may just go crazy in the next few months!

And my mom is one of those crazies who likes the kitten stage. I told her I'd trade my 2 kittens for all 3 of her adult cats!
My three are all five months, too!

I adore them -- they are so sweet and cute and fun. But WOW, they get into everything, bounce off the walls and just generally wreak havoc.

We chose kittens because, well, one sort of dropped into our laps, and the other two we just fell in love with pretty much at first sight. As we age, though, and the kids move out, I suspect we'll be more likely to adopt seniors. I am not sure if I have it in me to get through any more kittenhoods, and I like the idea of giving an older cat a loving home for its golden years.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 06:51 PM
Cat Addict

When I see all the so cute kitten photos on this forum I am drawn to them and think I never got to see my cats that cute. But then I think about the last kittens I had and remember them running all over and swinging from my drapes and think, boy I am glad I have these adult cats that are more my speed!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 07:02 PM
Cat

Every time I think back to when Oscar and Wilson were young kittens I get this weird twitch in my eye.. haha!

Kittens are hard work, but cute, but such hard work!

They are 1 year old next Monday

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 02:41 AM
Cat

I much prefer older cats, but I can't help myself around kittens-they are just so darn cute! I remember when my girls were kittens and they drove me nuts. I have decided that after one of my girls goes, I want an old, fat, lazy tom-actually I won't be that picky, but I will want an older cat.

HOWEVER...

I get my kitten fix by volunteering at a local shelter. And occasionally my boyfriend and I will foster a kitten and find it a forever home. We get to enjoy the shiny, new toy for awhile and just when the little one starts to get annoying, a forever home will be found (we hope).
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 02:49 AM
Cat Addict

I think people say this for the cuteness factor and less - if at all - for the crazy hyper energy levels that may keep you awake all night. I think some people that say these things have never had a kitten... or at least not a high energy one, or at the very least are only looking at one angle of it. As a stage of life it can be great if they don't overdo the hyper and destructive behavior ... but not as a forever kind of deal.

Along with the dogs
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page