Cat uses tray but unfortunately uses everywhere else as well - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cat uses tray but unfortunately uses everywhere else as well

Our cat Striker is a 2 year old male but unfortunately he is causing us a lot of problems at the moment. He seems to use the tray to urinate but he doesn't use it for very long. He goes in many places around the house including on beds we provide, clothes, curtains, corners, doors etc.

We have two other cats who are very well behaved. They are male and female and all three are from the same litter. They are all house cats but they do have an outside run. They have their own room where they stay at night.

Things we've tried:
More litter trays (4 now)
Different litter type
Cleaner trays (changed and scrubbed every day)
Dirtier trays (only changed every other day)
Deterrents on preferred areas
Different cleaners on preferred areas

We had them from kittens and I think we failed to train him properly. My partner thinks it's a territory thing but I'm not so sure.

Our house stinks and we are getting desperate. We don't want to get him rehomed and we are worried about splitting them up if we do.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
tooner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 10:02 AM
Tom Cat

I assume he is neutered? Has he been declawed? But the first thing you should do is get him to a vet to be sure he doesn't have a UTI. After ruling out any health issues, then I would assume it is a territorial issue. There may be other cats they see when they are outside

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I didn't think it's UTI because it's been going on for so long, would it not have got worse? His sister had UTI which cleared up.

All of them were neutered/spayed at the correct time and they aren't de-clawed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Cat Addict

From my personal experiences with cats, when they don't pee in the litter box they are communicating. The question is, what are they trying to say?
The vet check is the first port of call because there could be different medical reasons a cat would pee out of the box. One of them is a UTI. there are others, things like kidney problems which need to be discounted before you can figure out what your kitty is trying to say.

If you get a clean bill of heath then you want to start looking at things like neighbourhood cats. Is there any that he sees. Any that comes in "his" yard that he will see? In that case you might want to try something like Feliway plug in.
Or try blocking HIS view of the cat, like close the blinds on a particular window he may sit and watch this cat from.

You need to start somewhere and the best place is the vet's for a check.

Best of luck to you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks. You could be on to something with other cats but unfortunately with them being in the cat run we can't keep them away from other cats. I think the vet is the next step and take it from there. I wish I had insurance but if we can get him better it will be worth every penny. I'll let you know how we get on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page