Why do cats sleep in sad places? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Why do cats sleep in sad places?

My apt., though modest, is littered with poofs, big cushions, old duvets, a huge bed, comfy chairs, not to mention the cat beds, for the cats to choose from. Lots of cozy corners. Right now Prince is sleeping inside a cardboard box several feet tall and not wide enough for his body. The kittens, under the fridge. Niki in the house on the cat tree. Princess, under the bed, behind the Havahart ferals trap. It breaks my heart...

Niki likes to sleep in the laundry basket in the company of a collection of my dirty underwear. In the heat of summer, Princess enjoys shutting herself in the clothes closet. Prince, on the carpet instead of, for example, a cool bed sheet.

Do your cats sometimes choose sad places to sleep in?

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 07:41 PM
Cat Addict

My female goes into the garage and sleeps on racks and under the car and on an old dirty carpet. I have no idea why.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 08:02 PM
Jr. Cat

Yeah, what is it with cardboard? Humbert came from a hoarder's apartment, so I used to think he liked it because he was used to it, but now I think he just likes it period. This is his favorite spot, even though his bed and a couch and two chairs are about 2 feet away!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	792
Size:	393.4 KB
ID:	30722

He also loves dirty laundry, and the cold, hard kitchen counter. He hangs his paws offf the side and just passes out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 08:16 PM
Jr. Cat

My foster kittens like to sleep in odd places. Though my room is scattered with towels/blankets/baskets and they're allowed on the bed they usually choose otherwise. Some of their favorites are shelves in the closet, squished in between my suitcase and the clothes hanging in my closet, inside any open drawers, in my foster puppy's crate, in the dirty laundry, and on my nightstand lol. I don't really think it's sad, I just think a cat's idea of comfortable is not the same as ours.

Last edited by ofallxtoxpieceso; 09-26-2013 at 08:20 PM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 08:33 PM
Senior Cat

My cats LOVE sleeping in cardboard boxes, the smaller the box the better. I have bought them several nice cat beds and they could sleep on the couch or my bed, but they prefer hard surfaces. My boy likes to lie on my desk and the coffee table and my girl naps on my dresser. Cats are weirdos.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 08:43 PM
Cat Addict

ha...ET sleeps all over the place that are comfy. He move from place to place, and so I moved his cushion to wherever he goes. He seemed to rotate his sleeping place every couple months and at least they are all places that I provided and are comfy. He loved the cheap oval basket I bought at the value shop, so I made a cushion to go with it.

I just needed to find a comfy and good hideout for him during rainy days. He kept going under the sofa and fish tank rack which is really so uncomfortable and squeezy.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofallxtoxpieceso View Post
I just think a cat's idea of comfortable is not the same as ours.
Yes, it seems so. I see all those fancy cat beds that are so expensive, I'm sure my cats would choose to sleep in the small boxes the parts arrived in. Or on the top of the fridge.

I too wonder about the fascination with cardboard...

I once saw a poor stray lying on a sheet of paper in the middle of a public garden. It broke my heart, so I brought some old clothes and made her a cozy nest behind the bushes, in the cool shade. Which she politely refused in favor of the sheet of paper, of course LOL

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Prince likes to change his sleeping place every couple months too. I wonder why, I guess he gets bored of the same place... The girls prefer a very permanent bed for night time.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 09:01 PM
Premier Cat

Those places are only sad to us!! Missy has taken to sleeping on my soft comfy bed pillow - and I let her; cat hair and all. =D
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 09:20 PM
Jr. Cat

All of the beds, couches, pillows, blankets, etc. in our house and Nash likes the floor and Hallie likes the coffee table. Weirdos!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page