Introduction help - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Introduction help

So far we have kept our 2 foster kittens seperate from our dog. They are currently in our bathroom. They are small enough to get under the door, so we have barricaded it with a package of blinds and the Kitty litter container. Every time I open it Gracie, our dog looks in. When we're in there she lays in front of the door, occasionally crying. Penny, the 6 week old kitten looks under the door at her. When Gracie hears them playing she also cries. Several times we've caught her trying to move the barricade. Today she succeeded. Resa, the 5week old kitten, was in Gracie's crate. She was puffed up but the door was open and Gracie was just looking at her, Penny was under the bed. I let Gracie outside. Penny had to be coaxed from under the bed but purred as soon as I picked her up.

What is the best way to introduce kittens and a dog? They have been smelling and seeing eachother for 2 weeks now. I put the kittens in their crate while I clean their room. Resa hisses when Gracie smells them but Penny doesn't seem to mind. Gracie has never barked or growled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Premier Cat

I would let them all out to intermingle (supervised). Since Gracie seems to not be aggressive to the kittens then let them all get acquainted. They will work out a peaceful coexistence.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks Marcia. My husband laid beside Gracie tonight and we let the kittens out. They were terrified! James held on to Gracie because she was very fixated on them. Whining but wagging her tail. After much coaxing the babies explored and played some. We told Gracie no when she got too excited and petted her when she was calmer. The whole thing was around 20 minutes but it was a start, noone was injured!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 07:09 PM
Premier Cat

To be on the safe side, you could put a leash on Gracie while she's out with the kittens....better to be safe than sorry I say.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 07:53 PM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by catloverami View Post
To be on the safe side, you could put a leash on Gracie while she's out with the kittens....better to be safe than sorry I say.
A lead is a good idea, definately wise to be able to control your dog while shes interacting with the kittens just in case anything gets out of hand.

Another really good way I found if putting the kittens in a locked cat basket and then letting the dog see and sniff them freely and vice versa. This worked really well when introducing my cat to 2 new kittens, as long as you dog isnt too strong to possibly break open the cat basket then it could work well too!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 08:47 PM
Cat Addict

I second the above post. That worked well with a friend of mine who has dogs. She crated them (they behave very well in the crate and sleep there), and let the cats sniff around so they didn't feel threatened. But it sounds like they are making a lot of progress. If no one hissed or clawed, that's good news!

Do you have a baby gate? If so, you could put them on either side, and put food out for them. That's usually how I "introduce" new cats to one another. They begin to associate the other animal with food, which is obviously a positive thing. Once they calm down enough to not feel threatened, you can start letting them mingle...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 08:39 AM
Premier Cat

I like the idea of crating, too, only not the kittens. They will feel trapped and threatened in a cage with a sniffing dog just outside of it. I may cause permanent fear. I would crate the dog - or put the dog in a bathroom or other room with a baby gate to keep her in while the kittens explored.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page