My cat likes to bite a lot! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

My cat likes to bite a lot!

Hello,

I've had my cat for almost 2 years now.
He's very playful, and likes to wake me up in the morning and play with me on the bed. But biting has always been part of the game!
Usually it's play bites, so they don't hurt.
But when he gets too excited it can hurt a lot, scratch my skin deep and make me bleed a little, and they are periods when my arms look like I've been cutting myself a lot.
I try to teach him not to go beyond the playful bite by yanking my hand away and saying NO, and it seems to work most of the time, but sometimes he gets even more aggressive! His ears go back, he prepares himself and attacks my arm or leg in one quick and very strong bite, as if it were an animal. This happens mostly after I've groomed him. How can I get him to stop?
When I see him prepare for the attack, I always look him in the eyes and keep saying no. Sometimes he drops himself on the floor, accepting my "dominance", but sometimes it just won't work and I have to distract him by throwing him a toy or something. If I don't have anything handy next to me, he will attack me, after which I punish him by putting him in the bathroom for 20 seconds, which calms him down completely.
But I don't like doing that.

Any advices please?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Here's a picture of a morning play moment
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByPG Free1380610048.563512.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	31058

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 03:56 AM
Super Moderator

You've taught him bad manners for two years, it's going to take a while to get him to stop when you want him to stop. This is why new owners are advised NEVER to start letting kittens bite hands, even though it's just for "fun" and doesn't hurt.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 04:30 AM
Kitten

I've been having Milo for a month today, he was only 6 weeks when we brought him - and as a baby he tends to nibble on me a lot, and I always thought he was teething, which I don't see it much of a problem, but as he is getting older, he becomes bigger and stronger with sharper teeth. I think most of the time it's him being playful, and I have been trying to stop him by saying NO which works at times. From what people been telling me, you need to be hard on them, say no then walk away, and you will need to be consistent with it. I'm still not doing a good job on that myself. Or another option is to have a soft toy next to you, when he bites u can just put that in his mouth.

Hope things will work out soon

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I actually bought him a great toy with catnip inside, and he likes to take it everywhere and bite on it. I always give it to him when it's next to him and he's in a biting mood, and it works. What I'm really trying to know how to deal with is the aggressive impulsive and sudden attack I get some times, where he sinks his teeth in my arm or leg as if he was attacking to kill an animal. How to make it stop?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Cat Addict

It sounds like he could be overstimulated. Does the aggression show after a few minutes? I.e., do you pet him for 5 minutes, then out of nowhere he attacks? If that's the case, maybe stop petting him after a few minutes before he gets overstimulated. Usually cats show signs before that happens (they start flopping their tail really hard, they pull their ears back, etc.). So if that happens, you need to stop. Either way, when he does attack, you need to let him know that it's not appropriate. Say "NO" very loudly to startle him, and walk away. He needs to know that if he exhibits that behavior, you will not play with him. It will take time though. It's MUCH harder to "unlearn" a behavior than it is to learn one...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Kitten

Um..... Just out of curiosity, what could be the cause over overstimulated?

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Actually this happens mostly when I groom him. I do shout at him, and if he attacks me anyway I walk away from him and ignore him until he comes to me and purrs as if to apologize.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page