Young Kittens Peeing Outside Litter Box - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Young Kittens Peeing Outside Litter Box

I have three 4-1/2-week-old kittens. When we are not home or in bed, they stay in a large kennel, with litter box, food, toys, and bed.

I have noticed that they don't consistently use the litter box. Most of the time they poop in there, but I am starting to notice that they are peeing outside the litter box.

The next step is obviously to put another litter box in there-one litter box + 3 kittens = issues. There is room, although the second litter box will go in their play area. Oh, well. They don't play there very much anyway.

My question is about litter. I have read and been told not to use any sort of clumping litter with kittens this young. But at the pet store (PetCo), almost EVERY litter is some sort of scoopable or clumping. The only option left to me is newspaper or pine pellets (I have Feline Pine in there right now).

What are your thoughts on litter for kittens this young?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Cat Addict

I've always used clumping litter for my foster kittens (my own cats will not use pine pellets, so I just use Tidy Cats for everyone). For adult cats, I would recommend at least one litter box per cat, but for kittens, that's definitely not necessary. I would do 1 litter box per 2 kittens. The thing is, as I'm sure you know, they go potty a LOT, but in very small amounts, so the litter boxes fill up quickly. I think if you get another box, that should help with the peeing outside of the box. I normally have to clean kittens boxes at least two or three times a day. If they continue to pee outside the box, you might want to try to separate them to see if it's just one doing it (which could mean a urinary issue) just to be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page