If I only understood cat language! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

If I only understood cat language!

Male comes in meow, meow. (he has a pitiful meow too, sounds like crying) I go to pet, he runs outside, I follow and he keeps laying down but when I want to pet, he moves. I finally pet him and female come out and they rub and touch noses and then he bites her leg and it must have hurt because she makes bad noise. He stops because I am out there and ask her if she if ok. I go in house. Then she lays down and he goes over nicely but then of course jumps on her whole body and she fights and runs and he chases her out of yard.

I don't think this is playing because it is always him after her. No one is hurt and luckily they alternate spending time with me but otherwise there seems to be some competition.
Plus I wish I knew what he wanted when he comes in the house. He seems like a bored boy with lots of energy that doesn't want to be inside but doesn't know what to do with himself.

Is this normal? Luckily they are both not always around together or it eventually can evolve to him bugging her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 08:18 PM
Cat Addict

I don't always know what ET wants too. Most times when he rub badly, he is hungry. When he wanted play, he will just meow at me w/o rubbing or sometimes he will lead me to his room, then flopped showing his belly, he will act sneaky, hide behind his rocker, all these, telling me he wanted play. But sometimes, he meow non-stop, started rubbing, but yet when I gave him food, he just won't eat and I was too tired to play and ignored him, and I ended up getting bitten. CATS!!!! I don't understand and am still learning about their body language.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 03:23 PM
Jr. Cat

As for the male chasing female part, I get this too atm, explained in my thread: https://www.catforum.com/forum/37-beh...her-again.html

My old cats did it aswell (always male chasing female), I think it's just a male dominance thing. Normally males are bigger and heavier so when they chase females, females would much rather run (which they are better at) than be caught and fight, whereas females don't want a fight so don't try and instigate it in the first place.

My old male cat Max did it until he got older but maybe we weren't forceful enough at deterring hm from it. Im going to try harder with my male cat, if he gets violent. That said if they are just chasing and not being violent then there probably is nothing to worry about, the female might like being play chased.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Cat Addict

....Or maybe the male is just younger and therefor has more energy and drive to play.

Also, the female had a litter, causing her to mentally mature. The male is her kitten, and since he's always stayed with mom he could very well be stuck in a state of adolescence. (again, higher energy/play drive).

The dominance thing...is not a thing.

Also, there is absolutely no reason for a male to be 'more violent' than a female, especially if he's neutered. Which the OPs male is.

OP, try adding more play times. Actively grab toys and make him run until he's panting. He clearly needs to burn off more energy and apparently strolling around the neighborhood isn't doing it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page