Noob cat owner. Eeek! - baby gates question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Noob cat owner. Eeek! - baby gates question

Hi all, my name is Dan and I joined this forum because I plan on getting a kitten soon (my first ever) and I already have a ton of questions. More on that later though.. Just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 11:07 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Dan! New to the cat world, how exciting. Don't worry, you are in for a treat and there is a lot of people glad to help you with any questions.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 11:32 PM
Cat Addict

Hello Dan! You have come to the right place. We will all be so very excited to see your new kitten, when you pick him/her. Such an exciting time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 12:14 AM
Cat

Hello there! So excited for you that you're getting a new kitten. They are loads of fun and it's very rewarding to watch them grow up and love you. Good luck with your new companion and ask away if you have any questions.

☆ ☆ ☆
"time spent with cats is never wasted."
[
edgar | michonne | novalee | oliver | kosmo | pumpkin ] <--- my cats
[ grumpy | big poppa | lily | cj | peanut ] <--- my ferals
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hi everyone! Thank you for the warm welcome. This past week I just filled out papers to adopt this little guy (light colored tabby). Nothing is official yet but hopefully it works out.

Anyway I do have an advice question (btw I would post on the general forum but I don't have access yet).. Long story short: My roommate isn't all that thrilled that I decided to get a cat but has compromised and said I can get one if I keep it exclusively in my bedroom. I'm hoping that over time he falls in love with him too and gives him free rein on the condo but for now I have no choice but to keep him in one room. Instead of always keeping my door closed at all times I was thinking of using a pet/baby gate.. but I know cats' leaping ability is pretty ridiculous so I'm not so sure it will be fool-proof especially after reading other related posts on this forum.

Do you think this would be sufficient for a 3 month old kitten? And if so, about long will it last before he's old enough to jump it?
>

Or would buying 2 of these and stacking them work?
>

Or am I would I just be wasting money trying this at all. Any advice you guys have would be amazing!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 04:48 AM
Cat Addict

Yikes! I would very very strongly suggest NOT getting a kitten if it is contained to only one room. Kittens are fuuuuull of energy. Depending on the cat, many of them are even full of energy into their teens! They need lots of room to run and explore, it isn't natural to grow up cooped up in a bedroom full time. A single room where they can see everything from the bed is completely not practical. I'm sorry. But you really need to think about what is best for the kitten, and your current living situation is not a conductivite one to a kittens needs.

Perhaps a much older and very laid back cat... but that is a big if... living in one room no matter how big it is simply is not any life for a cat and should be a temporary or absolute last resort. You would need to spend a lot of time in your room. You would need to have a large window. You would need to have a large cat tree. You would need to commit to a lot of interactive play time daily. Cats and especially kittens do NOT sleep and sit around all day and need a lot of stimulus and companionship.

Also, a kitten/cat is not dumb, they will know there is a world and people beyond your door and in NO TIME will be meowing and scratching to get out. Day and night. All the time. Extremely loudly.

The kitten/cat could also develop very bad behavioral problems due to this confinement.

Please please reconsider.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

This isn't my ideal situation either but like I said hopefully over time my roommate will lighten up and this will all just be temporary. My roommate's problem isn't that he's allergic or scared of cats.. it's because he's a neat freak and doesn't want the cat to shed all over or destroy anything in the condo. So really I'm almost sure I can at least get my roommate to let him roam free while supervised and if I just make sure to clean up after it. The purpose of the gate really is keep the kitten confined to my room when I'm not around to watch him myself.

That said, I totally get and understand all your concerns.. and I've considered all of it when planning for this kitten. An entire wall to my bedroom is a floor-to-ceiling window so he'll have plenty of sunlight. Also since I'm moving there brand new in a few weeks (forgot to mention that) I've already planned on making concessions by limiting what furniture I'm buying for that room. This includes getting a smaller bed and actually just not having much else in the room besides that. I even figured I can maximize more space by buying a tv stand that's on wheels and keeping it in the closet when not in use. The only other furniture I plan on getting for the room is cat related (condo, tree, litterbox, food tray, water fountain, etc).

Not to mention stuff like this:

I totally, totally understand everything you're saying.. but I'm definitely trying my best to make it work.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 07:50 AM
Cat

I agree with Carmel that being confined to one room isn't really ideal and I would like to suggest that although the cat tree that you picked is okay a free standing tree that could be placed near the window would be much better in my opinion. Hopefully your roommate will come around and the kitten will have the run of the condo.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 07:51 AM
Cat

Oh I forgot to welcome you to the forum! Welcome and this forum is great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page