New kitten's behavior (or lack there of) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

New kitten's behavior (or lack there of)

So I just adopted two kittens today from the local humane society. A 10 week old boy and 8 week old girl. The boy is getting neutered in the morning, so today I just took home the girl. Her coat and so far her personality remind me so much of my cat I had to put down last month.

Once I took her out of the carrying box, she looked around and went straight under my bed and has been there ever since just sitting in the corner.

I live in a one bedroom apartment, it's just me. I'm wondering how I should handle the situation, if I just leave her alone and let her come out on her own or if I should bring her out and try to get her comfortable in the open?

I will be picking up the boy in the afternoon tomorrow, I assume I should keep them separated and introduce scents before putting them together? I will keep her in my bedroom where she can hide under the bed and let him have roam the of rest the apartment. He seems a lot more energized and curious but we'll see when I get him home.

What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 11:04 PM
Cat Addict

She is scared...don't leave her alone!! Try coaxing her out....talk softly to her ...I'd meow and purr at her, when she's looking at you slowly blink your eyes at her see if she returns blinks (might need to do that a couple of times) try a toy or a treat. I would confine her to one room (some say a bathroom) but maybe your bedroom. Have a litter box, food and water...away from the box and some toys. A bed for her to sleep in with soft bedding. Sweet talk her..she'll come around.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

She came out briefly last night when I was playing with her but that ended quickly she seemed to startle. When I got home after work today I actually thought she was lost but she ended up coming out of somewhere in my room and going straight to the corner under the bed again, I tried to coax her out with some toys but she seemed uninterested. I don't have any treats at the moment I will try that maybe tomorrow, should I be concerned? I figured if I let her be she would come out on her own and explore but so far no luck.

If I reach under the bed shell let me rub her and she'll start purring but she doesn't seem any closer to coming out on her own when I do that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 07:31 AM
Premier Cat

She sounds like she is scared. She'll come around but it may take a bit longer than the male. Do whatever you can to win her trust - play, talk softly, sit and read a story to her. Doesn't matter if it's a magazine article or science fiction, just your steady calm voice is enough to draw her out. Also, food is a great motivator. Look at it from her point of view. She's gone from the safety of a cage or small room to an unfamiliar apartment the size of Mt. Everest in her little mind!!

I adopt senior and adult cats and I often run into this. My Abby was hard won love, but those are the sweetest once they learn to trust you. I've always enjoyed the challenge of winning their affections. It'll happen, it just takes a bit of time with some kitties.

Last edited by Marcia; 10-13-2013 at 07:34 AM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Cat Addict

Try to interact with her as much as possible. Don't grab or pull at her. She will so realize your ok and then...let the kitty games begin!!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 12:46 PM
Cat Addict

She will come around, like everyone said, she is just scared, and this is normal. As far as her being separated from the other kitty, if they have both been cleared of feline leukemia and they are good, I don't think you need to keep them apart too long, if they are both kittens still, especially that young. In fact, it will probably be a good thing for them to have each other, comforting. Maybe if the boy has just had surgery you will have to watch him to make sure no one is grooming his suture site.

How sweet of you to take in two kitties, that is wonderful! They will have each other. And they will come around soon, it just takes a little time. I think it's a good idea to not give them the roam of the house right away, it's easier to get them to come around and get used to one room first before taking to the rest of the house.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Senior Cat

I agree with howsefrau, provided that both are healthy, I wouldn't bother to keep kittens that young apart. I would supervise their interactions at first, but young kittens don't really fight with one another, though there may be a bit of hissing/growling/wrestling initially. It's far easier to introduce kittens to each other than adult cats. Little kittens don't really exhibit territorial behaviours, and they're programmed to be curious about their surroundings, including their littermates and, by extension, other kittens.

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Well last night I kept the boy in his "room" after hanging with him for a bit.

I opened the door to my room while I was watching some tv and the little girl came out! She was meowing so I talked to her and eventually got down on the floor with arm outstretched. She let me pet her a lot but never got close to my body. But that's definitely progress.

I'm not sure how to get them together. She has my room, he has a little pantry room at the moment. That's all he has seen but she has explored the living room a bit. How woul you recommend proceeding?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Cat Addict

I think if he seems curious to come out, and he's tired of being in that room, maybe pick him up and hold him while you walk into the room where the girl kitty is. Let her see him. I bet she will be very curious. There could be some initial hissing, but I doubt it will be that bad, and I bet they will be playing in no time. It might be just the thing to help bring her out of her shell. You could always try it, if it doesn't work out, go back to separating them for a while, but I have a feeling this will be a good thing for them to help bring them out of their shell. Let us know! I'll be curious to hear how it went. If they seem ok with each other, I don't see why they can't stay in the same room together now.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 05:09 PM
Tom Cat

My kittens were sisters and part of the reason we got 2 was because I was so concerned about how it would feel for the 1 kitten to come into a new situation by herself. I was prepared for them to be "freaked out" and need time to transition. I was amazed that when I first took them out of the cage and to my daughter's room, they immediately just started playing with each other right in front of me. Within a couple hours we tried letting them out and they explored the house under our watchful eye. Our situation is different from yours of course since these 2 kittens knew each other their entire lives (11 weeks) and came home with us the same day. If I were to get kittens again I would do the same thing. So great that you got 2...it will probably help a lot in the days to come for everyone to get comfortable with each other. Do these kittens know each other at the Humane Society?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page