Hello all from Mayhem - questions about night time behavior - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hello all from Mayhem - questions about night time behavior

Hi there. We are the loving owners of very personable blue russian mix with something unknown (she came from an adoption centre). She is our first blue Russian and is a tonne of fun. She plays more than any other cat we have had. Even at 2 years of age, she is as playful as she was when she was a kitten.
HOWEVER, there are some strange characteristics she has that we would like to gain some knowledge about, which is why we joined this forum. When I say strange, I mean that it's something we've never seen before, both of us owning cats our whole life. The first strange characteristic Mayhem has occurs when one of us sneezes. Mayhem will react with a chattering sound that is not unlike when a cat sees a bird through a window. However, it's a little bit different than that, but its cute as pie. This characteristic is just funny to us, any insight would be greatly appreciated.
The second more troubling characteristic of Mayhem, occurs during the night, while we are in bed. All of a sudden, in the middle of the night, Mayhem while playing with her toys downstairs (we sleep in the upstairs of a multi-level condo), she will start makinig this deep moaning meow/growl. It's akin to the sound a female makes in heat, although Mayhem was spayed at the adoption centre. Whenever one of us goes down to see what is up with Mayhem, she's usually sitting in front of one of her toy mice, and it's as easy as carrying her up to bed with us, where she'll then spend the rest of the night with us. It's almost as if she's in some sort of hunting mode, or she's lost and in a panic that she can't find us. Once we come to her , she comes to pretty quick. She's very instincual, and that might be just it, however it's getting to the point where it's getting very annoying as it is occuring EVERY night now.
Sorry for the long first post, but we are looking for any help/suggestions. Mayhem is an indoor cat that was converted from outdoor 4 months ago. She will never be in danger, we just need help making Mayhem know that!

Thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

The sneezing reaction is cute. Maybe it's bless you! in cat language.

The other behavior with the toy is something that Cleo does, too. It sounds so sad and distressing, and it's always when she's carrying some sort of toy (usually a big kong-like thing). I just ask her if her baby is okay and how she's doing. She usually will leave it and jump on the bed with me. Cinderella did this, too, but not as often.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page