Lickorish won't eat unless I feed her - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Lickorish won't eat unless I feed her

Hubby has been trying to feed kitties in the morning so I can sleep in after a late night working, but Lickorish won't go downstairs and eat. We can't leave the food out as we mix in her asthma meds and Squeek will eat it if she gets a chance. So, I either have to get up and go downstairs with Lickorish so she'll eat, or hubby puts away her food until I come downstairs. Sometimes she goes down with hubby, but then runs back up to get me.

Lickorish isn't the chowhound the Squeek is, she's not food motivated, but good grief! Why won't she eat her breakfast unless I give it to her?

She doesn't do this when I'm out of town. Then she eats just fine. Its just when I'm home, she thinks I'm supposed to come down to give her breakfast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 09:52 PM
Cat

My Gizmo was the same

One night a week, me and the girls get together at a friends house for sappy tv and wine and it doesn't matter if she is getting her favorite kind - she won't touch it until I'm home but if we decide to go out, Gizmo will cave in at around the 4 hour mark and she will eat it

We feed them 3 times a day - last meal is very small, the get their breakfast minus a couple of spoons, same for supper.. This last little one is just so everybody's belly is full for the night and that one is left out overnight.
The other two meals are given to them and the bowls are picked up after 45 minutes. Gizmo learned quickly that if she wants that meal - she better get it while it's there no matter who feeds her.

What if the bowl was put in your room? Would she eat it even if your asleep?

Last edited by bibiak87; 10-14-2013 at 09:54 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

If hubby puts it on the bed next to me, she'll eat, but I don't really want cat food in the bed.

Really happens just at breakfast, and I have to pet her a few minutes before she'll start eating too. Otherwise she just does her 'pinball kittie' routine and walks around rubbing herself on all the furniture.

Our main concern is that she gets her medicine, and that Squeek doesn't get into it. We usually mix the meds in with the food. Otherwise, she might be able to learn a lesson, but then she'll start coughing again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 10:07 PM
Cat Addict

I have to have "play time" with one of mine before he will eat. Maybe she just wants to play for a bit?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 10:39 PM
Cat Addict

My feral cat, Arwen, will not eat her food unless I pet her the entire time. If I stop petting her, she will stop eating. She is also the world's pickiest cat about food too. It is a bit exhausting, I know! When I want to sleep in once in a while and my hubby is kind enough to feed her, I tell him he has to sit out next to her while she eats and talk to her....he hasn't quite graduated to being able to pet her while she eats, only me.

I think you have spoiled your kitty, and I know I have Arwen. Now they expect it
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Oooohhhh, they are both so spoiled!

Sometimes Lick gets finneky about her food, and I have to get her started eating by putting it on a spoon and holding it in front of her face. She's just like a toddler, she even makes faces (at least I think so)! And then starts licking the spoon, and 'oh, its not so bad'...funny thing is, she doesn't run off when I hold the spoon to her mouth, she just sits there and moves her head around it, making 'faces'.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 11:43 PM
Cat Addict

Yep, we have indeed spoiled our babies. Luckily, my two boys scarf down their food with hardly a breath in between bites, and my old girl cat, she is a grazer, she will not eat if I'm looking at her, because she likes me to think that the food I give her is "unacceptable" and she is not going to eat it. Cats are so funny. I totally believe the making face thing too, LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page