So sad, had to throw away a new bag of cat food :( - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Cat

So sad, had to throw away a new bag of cat food :(

y cat has been a nice girl that never scratched furnitures and never scratched us with her claws. I thought she wouldn't really go crazy scratching anything then. But i changed my mind now, for what happened last night...

I bought a new bag of dry cat food and left it on the floor. I thought it would be fine since it's sealed and the packaging is quite 'hard'. I did see her sniffing and pawing it for some time though. So i ended up putting the bag into a box. But i didn't check if she did any damage since i thought it was impossible to tear it. Then today i saw a trail of ants on the box. When i open the box there were ants everywhere, the pet food bag was torn... Sigh i had to throw away this 12 lbs kibbles that could last her for roughly 6 months

I wanted to buy the 5 lbs food instead but 12lbs could save a few dollars when i round it up. Now i had to toss it away i feel a bit upset and stupid for letting on the floor at first. :/ Lose more than what i could save...

Ahhhhhh.. those claws… becomes destructive when it comes to 'food'

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 09:39 AM
Kitten

Have you tried those soft claw covers. The ones you glue on. They have saved our home and furniture and our groceries and kibble. Our girl Penny, really likes to scratch everything she can get into... Including this big giant bag of flour I had just bought on sale. It looked like there was a 1/4inch thick dust in everything after she was finished with the bag. But now with the soft claw covers she rarely scratches anything and my groceries are safe.

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 09:47 AM
Cat

I trim all my cats nails. They are very very good at not scratching anything but when they play and run around the place they were catching threads on my sofa etc. Not had any problems since I started trimming.

Saying that, I think if I left a bag of kibble of the floor they would get into it in seconds!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Cat

She doesn't really scratch anything really. She only goes crazy with her food. I learnt that i can't leave her kibbles bag on the floor from this... Still feel sad for throwing the whole bag away though T.T

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 10:13 AM
Cat Addict

I don't leave any food out I put it away...learned my lesson when I came home to find them in a bag of sealed treats I left on the counter...they had ripped through the plastic. It was primarily marshall...he had the bag when I came through the door...but gizmo the one who usually scolds marshall (when I'm there..maybe that's for show) was there right next to him!! Or maybe she ws the lookout but *failed?* hahaha
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Senior Cat

If I were you, I would simply put that event down as a learning experience. Some cat-proofing tasks are more obvious than others. I wish I could write a note and somehow pass it along to the version of me from 18 months ago... the amount of time, money, general aggravation and stress I could've saved myself would be invaluable.

But, I suppose this holds true in just about any aspect of life...

Caretaker of two black cats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 11:38 AM
Senior Cat

I don't think it's so much about cats having claws, it's that you left a bag of food where the cat could get to it. Many cats are food-motivated and will tear open an unmonitored bag of food. A declawed cat would chew through the bag to get to the food. I would find a cabinet or spot the cat can't get to for storing food. Alternatively, you could get an airtight plastic container and store the food in there; just make sure the cat can't get the lid off.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 11:56 AM
Cat

Just want to say that there's no way I'd have a bag of food open for six months. Unless you're feeding a food full of chemical preservatives it's going to start going stale and potentially rancid. At work we tell people not to buy a big bag unless their pet will go through it within six weeks.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 12:09 PM
Tom Cat

I keep Yuki's kibble in a large sealed "Tupperware" type container. I don't have to worry about insects or humidity ruining it. If you would like to save money by buying a bigger bag, is there anyone you know who would split it with you? My daughter and I did that for the longest time. The store we bought it from has a loyalty program where they keep track and when you've eventually bought 12 large bags you get one free.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayla baxter View Post
Just want to say that there's no way I'd have a bag of food open for six months. Unless you're feeding a food full of chemical preservatives it's going to start going stale and potentially rancid. At work we tell people not to buy a big bag unless their pet will go through it within six weeks.

Well i never knew about this. Anyways i pour some kibbles into a smaller container and the rest sealed in bag and left in another big airtight container so i'm not reopening the food all tge time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page