Bored Indoor cat.. Game suggestions needed - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Question Bored Indoor cat.. Game suggestions needed

Tinker and Wilson are pretty happy with the luxuries of being indoor cats and don't get bored very often. When they do get bored, they are easily stimulated.

Oscar however, is always looking for something to do. Right now, the other 2 are snoozing and Oscar is pacing around, jumping up on the mantel (not allowed) and the storage unit (not allowed) because he knows it will get my attention.

I'm always trying to come up with new games and toys for him but he is so clever and nothing lasts!

We play fetch but he gets bored about about 5 throws, we have tons of tickler toys that he loves for 10 minutes. I bring boxes home and make peek and grab holes in them and put toys inside. He loves that until he figures out to rip the box open or crush it.

I chuck his kibble up the stairs so he chases it, that's getting boring now because he knows what's happening.

I've spent so many 's on new toys but on the market, everything is pretty much the same!

They have a cat gym.

Even his whole prey is boring him now! He never eats his mouse but he used to love hunting it and playing with it for hours, yesterday.. maybe 5 minutes of playing after he got it out of the box

I think he would be happier with going out but for my own selfish reasons I just can't let him I could never live with myself if something happened to him.

I'm looking for a bunch of new ideas of games and toys for him! I'll pay out for great toys if I don't think he will get bored of it in 10 minutes and I'll try and make anything for him.

Even his whole prey is boring him now! He never eats his mouse but he used to love hunting it and playing with it for hours, yesterday.. maybe 5 minutes of playing after he got it out of the box

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 12:34 PM
Cat Addict

Ou need to make a few of those toys special by not bringing them out all the time...so they don't get bored by them. I have a cat tunnel they love its not out every day..I want them to keep loving it and play with it. They have interactive treat "toys" that might work
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Yeah I do that. Favourite toys go away in the draw otherwise they get lost and it's always so exciting when they come back out.. For about 10 minutes. Then it's old news again

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 04:32 PM
Premier Cat

Have you seen those videos especially for cats? Or any nature videos that have animals or birds are good (do you get "Animal Planet" on TV?). This one has "DVD Cat Dreams"
Novelty Cat Toys for cats from Madcats Cat Toys. The premier online cat toy shop in the UK.

Interactive Cat Toys: great selection at zooplus

If you haven't got "Da Bird", this one's a must..... a good 15-20 min. workout should tire him out.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 04:38 PM
Premier Cat

Have you thought about providing access to outside? Maybe enclosing a patio or building a cat run on the grass. If you live in an apartment you could use an AC bracket to hold a DIY screen mesh box for them to perch on and feel the breeze. My cats LOVE going outside (except Lacey). Even with 24/7 access to the screened porch, Lacey must have had her fill of the outside as a stray before I adopted her.

I've had no luck with toys at all. I swished DaBird in front of Jack and Lacey today. Jack was terrified and Lacey just looked at me like I was a real jerk then walked away. Snits.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Cat Addict

Marcia, I'd be interested in seeing a photo of the mesh box you mention. How would I find one on Google?

As to Da Bird, of course it's a must. Cats may be afraid at the beginning, so it's best to let them get acquainted with it in their paws and then dragging it on the floor slowly before making it fly.

As to the original question - I'm confused, because 10 minutes of play is considered a full play session...twice a day.

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 05:33 PM
Premier Cat

Here's a suggestion! Do you have a staircase? Play Pennies From Heaven! Put kitty on the staircase,get out of sight-and start (GENTLY) pitching pennies! So simple,but cats have a blast! And for a kitten,it enhances their zeroing-in skills!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 06:51 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straysmommy View Post
Marcia, I'd be interested in seeing a photo of the mesh box you mention. How would I find one on Google?

As to Da Bird, of course it's a must. Cats may be afraid at the beginning, so it's best to let them get acquainted with it in their paws and then dragging it on the floor slowly before making it fly.

As to the original question - I'm confused, because 10 minutes of play is considered a full play session...twice a day.
I don't have a photo except in my head. Try looking for "cat enclosures" for ideas. I was imagining something like a bracket support that you would ordinarily put a window air conditioner on. Build a basic frame and use wire mesh to enclose it. Put the entire thing on the support and fasten securely.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Yeah im got a flying frenzy which is just like da bird. They all love it but I try not to do it too often as Oscar gets bored so quickly.

As for an outside area I only have 1 back window and my co conservatory door. I can't make anything for the window because of the position but I've been thinking about the conservatory door.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page