staying off the counters ?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Question staying off the counters ??

my 8 month old Tonks are constantly on the counters and tables. As soon as I yell NO or Down they jump off but is there a way to get them to stay off ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 10:44 AM
Jr. Cat

I am having the same problem with my kitten. I know we have to constantly say know until they learn but how long does it take.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 01:39 PM
Premier Cat

Whatever method you use will work GREAT... while you're there. The moment you walk out the door they are up there doing the hokey pokey.

Keep your counters cleared of ANYTHING remotely interesting. Put *EVERYTHING* away and just wipe down the counters before you start food preparation. Once kitten knows there's rarely anything interesting they'll stop investigating.

My boys both hop up but have an area where they are allowed (the bar portion) they don't come past that spot when im cooking and they KNOW when Im done that everything will be put away. Book may scope it to be sure, but then he gets right down and doesn't go back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 01:42 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen34 View Post
I am having the same problem with my kitten. I know we have to constantly say know until they learn but how long does it take.

Sometimes forever. I was never able to break Billy from it. The best I could do was teach him that one small out of the way corner on the counter was ok. All he wanted to do was greet us as we came in through the back door and do that from up high. How could I totally stop that? - it was just so darn cute to be greeted by a tail wagging cat!!!

My current crop of 5 cats do not go up on the counters - except sometimes in the morning I can see evidence of paw prints on the counter, so I know that someone is getting up there. I just have never seen who it is.

Last edited by Marcia; 10-23-2013 at 01:44 PM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 01:46 PM
Cat Addict

I agree with leaving nothing out. I had to cover my dining room table because one of my cats goes on when I am not around with fur all over. She jumps down as soon as she sees me. It's obvious she knows she shouldn't be there but....
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 02:00 PM
Cat Addict

You can try putting foil up there (a lot of cats don't like the sound of it), but my Dad tried that and it didn't really do anything to deter his kitty. One of mine only gets on the dining room table (and there's nothing up there). I gave up trying to get him to stop. He gets down as soon as he sees me, but he still does it...
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 02:24 PM
Cat

Ahhh forget it's almost impossible my two are always on the counter and dining room table. I have officially given up.

Marlena
Zorro & Patches DSH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Tom Cat

If someone finds a way, let me know! Been trying to keep mine off the counters forever.

Tin foil doesn't work, tape doesn't work, keeping the counters clear and boring doesn't work.

My one cat jumps up and doesn't respond to NO or DOWN or anything, only thing he responds to is the squirt bottle, but that doesn't sound like a solution to me.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 03:55 PM
Tom Cat

I have the same problem with my cat. But when she sees us she gets down really fast. She knows she is not supposed to be on them but she is a very sneaky cat

R.I.P. Patches (1998 - 12/3/10) & KC (4/9/99 - 3/13/13)
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 04:10 PM
Jr. Cat

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll keep saying No. He does jump down when he see me from time to time. I figured if I was able to get him a cat tree he may stop some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page