Will I make it throughthe night - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Nan
Cool Cat

Will I make it throughthe night

OK that sounded a little dire. I just brought Harli home from a dental cleaning an hour ago. Put her in the bedroom/bath. I know it's too soon to let the two smell each other.

I spent some time with her upstairs and now I'm downstairs trying to eat. LILY is laying in the hallway outside the bedroom door. Harli is scratching at the door. Once I'm done eating I'll go upstairs, and then LILY will be scratching scratching at the door.

I did put a feliway plugin downstairs last night. We did this once before. This is th e second time in 2 years that Harli needed a dental cleaning.

The vet gave me some Vetri Science perio support powder to try to help the tartar from sticking. Well, I bought it.

Am wondering how soon it will be safe to crack the door and let them sniff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Nan
Cool Cat

I'm in the bedroom now and Lily is crying outside the door. Harli is rubbing all over me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 09:38 PM
Cat Addict

I never make a big deal out of coming home from the vet. I set the kennel down in the kitchen and open the door. Then I tske the towel from the kennel and rub it on all the cats twice...more because I alwats have thsn because I need to. Ususlly the cats are all sniffing the kitty who was at the vet all over.

To be fair my guys are all so used to me smelling like all sorts of animals that nothing phases them unless its physically present. (Even then, Doran and muffins first instinct with new kitties is to politely say hi.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 10:50 PM
Senior Cat

I second librarychick....no special treatment in my house after a vet visit. But I also foster constantly so my guys are relatively tolerant of new smells and such. Even before I fostered though, a vet visit was never a big deal. If they aren't acting aggressive through the door, just trying to get in to each other to say hi, they there's probably not any reason to keep them separated.

"In rescuing animals, I lost my mind but found my soul."
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Nan
Cool Cat

I had the door cracked and they smelled through the door a couple times without hisses. I opened the bathroom door a little wider and they were quietly smelling each other. So I let Harli out. Lily smelled her butt and hissed and chased after Harli. Not a good chase.So I guess that was a big mistake...I was able to grab Harli and we're in the bedroom now now and I am going to try to sleep... Lily is mewing out there there but I am going to try to ignore her. The door is still cracked about an inch but I think I'll close it for now.

I wonder why smelling the butt was so different that it set Lily off. I had rubbed Harli with a towel that I previously rubbed Lily with.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 06:29 AM
Premier Cat

No biggee. They'll be fine.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Nan
Cool Cat

It's not better yet Lily hissed at Harli when the door was cracked.I tried the feeding on each side of the door. Harli is eating Lily is not eating. I put Lily 's food back downstairs but she's not interested in it.
Whoever is on the other side of the door is mewing.

Such a change from 3 weeks ago. After we all went to the vet, they were still best buddies.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Nan
Cool Cat

Do you think I should change their spaces yet? I can close off the bathroom completely so they don't have to run into each other when they switch.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Cat Addict

I'm going through something similar with my boys for about 6 weeks. It just takes time. I've been feeding them together (not with a door between them) for about a week now. At first, Jem would eat a few bites, then take off and hide under the bed, but now he's eating most of his meal and not hissing at Scout. He still doesn't want to play/snuggle with him, but it's getting better. Just try not to seem stress/agitated yourself (I know it's hard). They sense your stress too, and it will only add to theirs. If the feeding isn't working, maybe try treats or something they both really love (like chicken, turkey, etc.)?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 09:43 AM
Premier Cat

I would just open the doors and let them work it out. Hissing is no big deal. You are probably raising the stress level yourself. Just ignore the hissing and yelling. If it turns physical, yell NO and clap your hands. STAY CALM and they will too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page