Hello! -behavior/litter box problems - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hello! -behavior/litter box problems

Hi, my name is Yoel and I have a 1 mo. old kitten called Miley.

I came to this forum as a cat lover and as a person seeking advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Premier Cat

Wow, Miley is super young to be away from mom! You are going to have to be mom and dad to her - teaching her appropriate cat behavior, etc.! It's not unusual to have behavior issues when a kitten so young is taken from mom. Welcome to the forum and hopefully we can help with any issues that crop up!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Marcia, in fact, I'm desperate. She is extremely disobedient. She pees and craps on the floor when I'm not at home and does it in the box when I'm in. My roommate says not to pay attention to her. I've held her in my arms a few times and played with her but desisted due to scratches. What can I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

In fact, now that I've arrived home from work, the kitten avoids me like the plague...she runs away from me every time I want to get close to her...and I can't understand it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 12:58 PM
Jr. Cat

You might try keeping her in a little kennel with a small litter box, just until she gets used to the fact that she has to use it. She's very young, so she may be very scared. He vision isn't 100% clear yet, so to her you look like a monster. Just be patient. Give treats. Talk baby. Hold her. Patience. She will come around. My kitten loved having a fleece blanket, and she still sucks on it and kneads on it like shes nursing. It puts her at ease. Good Luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

We finally played a bit. She is going to the sandbox with no problem but she sometimes, and that's when I'm not home, she does her thing in the corner next to my bedroom door or in the bathroom floor.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 03:57 PM
Cat Addict

She's just a teeny baby! When you aren't home you should put her in a smaller room, like a bathroom, with all the things she needs. If she gets too far from the box she can't make it back in time to go.

Absolutely don't ever yell at her or punish her at all for any mistakes, she's just a baby and it will only make her scared of you.

To play with her use toys so she has something to claw and bite, don't use your hands to play with her or she'll still try to do that when she's bigger and it will hurt a LOT. Toys only!

As far as bonding goes, once you've played with her a bit she'll get nice and sleepy. that's the time for cuddles, not when she's all excited and ready to pounce. Use a toy, or a few toys, to get her running around until you can see her relaxing and getting ready for a nap, then pick her up and pet her gently to encourage her to have a nap on you. Once she's sleeping is the perfect time to practice touching her paws and her whole body, be very gentle and remind yourself she's just a little baby who's apart from her mum much too early.

It's up to you to, gently, teach her what to do. A general rule is to never be mean, or angry, or even upset with her. Basically, if you wouldn't do it to a human baby (about 6 months) you should do it to her.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 04:22 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoel View Post
Marcia, in fact, I'm desperate. She is extremely disobedient
A kitten that young isn't being 'disobedient'. And some cats just don't like to be cuddled, especially kittens! Even more so since she is way too young to be away from her mother. Definitely follow the advice given on here, and get a few wand toys to play with her, since that's all kittens are really interested in

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 05:30 PM
Premier Cat

She is too young to be "disobedient". Her brain is not developed enough yet. You just don't understand how young this is and how tragic that she is separated from her mom that would teach her appropriate behavior. When you are gone you must keep her confined in a small space like a bathroom or large cage. It's for her own good and your sanity. I REALLY hope you are not leaving her alone for hours on end.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 05:42 PM
Cat Addict

I'm feeling the need to respond...Marcia please take this the way it's intended and that is not meanly.

I agree that it's very sad this baby isn't with it's mother anymore, no argument.

The bit that I'm finding...difficult is the bit about not leaving the kitten alone for hours, and here's why:

-a feral kit, or litter, would definitely be left alone for hours ta this age. Sure, not many, and luckier kits might have siblings, or a more dedicated mum from an area where hunting is easy, or even an older sibling or aunt to keep them company...
-regardless of that, some people have to work and businesses (or wherever people work) aren't always ok with, or conducive to, having a very young kitten at work with you.

I'm not completely disagreeing...but it's not always an option. For example, when I first got Torri I was working. I HAD to leave her alone while I was at work. i was lucky enough to work close to home and I could (frantically) drive home, feed her, give her a snuggle, and then get back to work on time (barely, if I was lucky). My boss wasn't always thrilled with this, but we made it work until she was closer to 7 weeks and could be left the full 8 hours. Keep in mind she was left in a room with all her toys, blankets, scratcher, and two litter boxes.

Doran go to come to work with me, which basically meant I had no breaks ever until her hit 7 weeks and could also stay home. I had to feed him on my 15 minute breaks, and my lunch break, and my bosses were happy enough to let me extend my 15 minute breaks enough to actually feed him, although not myself, if I took shorter lunches. The result being I stuffed whatever was closest into my face and Doran slowly suckled his bottle...little brat

Muffin was 4 weeks when I got him as well. I was not within driving distance, and could not bring him to work with me. There was no option. I hated it, but he did have Doran to keep him company. I had to be very inventive about feeding, since if I left food out with both of them Doran would scarf it all down and Muffin would be left hungry. It wasn't optimal, so I had to choose between company or food. Food won.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that there are worse things that could be happening to this kitten...like being out on the street alone, hungry, and with no one to look after it at all. Being left alone for an average work shift is comparably minor...although not ideal by any means. Don't get me wrong on that.

Sorry, this is a bit of a sore subject for me. Muffin, Torri, and Doran all made it through their kittenhoods just fine and very healthy. They had 'less than perfect' care for about 2-4 weeks (keeping in mind when I was off work they were literally attached to me and getting all the learning and cuddling and play they wanted). None of them fared badly because of it.

...*sigh* I think that came off more rant-y than I intended. I promise my tone was respectful and explanatory. Not condescending, irritated, ect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page