What is playing too rough? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

What is playing too rough?

Hi all. I have three 7 week old litter mates. Two boys and one girl. These little ones play and have a great time. But, sometimes a little blood gets drawn and its not mine . Its one or another of them. They do seem very well adjusted and doing normal kitty stuff, and its not just one of them getting the worst, they all give equally. But, do I need to intervene? Or let them work it out themselves? Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 12:45 PM
Cat Addict

Well I wouldn't want to see blood - to me that's too far. And hearing a lot of cries would alert me..I would seperate...not sure if its right or wrong...but its what I would do
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

That's kinda what I was thinking too. I do separate when I see or hear too much. And, Milo the dog is very helpful, he doesn't like the real rough interaction so he sticks his nose in there. I'm glad I'm not being too over protective. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 01:01 PM
Cat Addict

Where is the blood? I know it feels like it shouldn't matter, but my boys used to get scratches on their noses regularly, and they deserved them. If they bugged Jitzu too much she's swat at them, and if it was their nose they were poking where it didn't belong they got a scratch.

If it's something like that, occasional and shallow, then it's not too serious. I used to put a bit of poly on it and not worry about it.

If we're talking deep bites then it's an issue. Kittens are supposed to teach each other how hard is too hard for biting by crying. If one, or all, of the kittens aren't listening to those cues you need to teach them how and prevent it from happening when you aren't around.

I'll come back later to elaborate if needed.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Well, I think I may have been mistaken. I think its the little girl getting the worst. Oh and no more than superficial, thank goodness. Mostly its her little nose. But, she is agressive too. Maybe she is just smaller and the boys are really putting on the weight. She eats plenty though. I have an appointment next week for their first shots and exam. I'll make sure she is healthy and just the runt then.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 02:08 PM
Cat Addict

If its just little scratches then nail trimming will help the most.

As for her size, it's fairly normal for females to be smaller than males. As long as she's eating well, active, and using the litter box fine I wouldn't be worried.

My four have very different builds and weights, even the boys and they have the same mum! Jitzu is about 9lbs (and a little chunky, but not much), Torri is tiny at 5.5lbs, Doran is about 11lbs and Muffin is 15lbs.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 02:19 PM
Cool Cat

In general I would say that playing too rough happens at the point of injury, but I would also say that small cuts on the nose are the exception. Some cats just have very thin fur in that area (Maisie is like this at our house) and will get superficial injuries there during normal play.

Do keep their claws trimmed, and be prepared to intervene if anyone seems in danger of more serious injury.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Y'all are just so awesome!,!! Thanks a bunch!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page