I'm fed up and frustrated!! UTI/litter box issues - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I'm fed up and frustrated!! UTI/litter box issues

After two courses of antibiotics for a stubborn UTI, my 8 year old male is still urinating outside the box. He seems to be only going in the bathroom on towels but after removing the towels I've noticed he's just going right on the hard floor. I've done everything I can to prevent this but nothing is working. We have 5 boxes, all different locations and they are kept clean. I made an appt for the vet for next week but I'm afraid it means anxiety meds. I'm just so aggravated that this is happening and I don't know what to do to calm his nerves. It breaks my heart he is unhappy or unwell. Any suggestions are welcome. I'm at my wits end with this!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by marie73; 11-01-2013 at 03:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 10:08 PM
Jr. Cat

I really hope things get better. It's not healthy for either of you to be stressed.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 10:14 PM
Senior Cat

Hi Javagal, can you give us some info on what your boy eats as diet can REALLY impact on the urinary health. ...

Jen - owned by ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lisbeth
RIP Miss Effie, Mme Coco, Basil, Horse & Toby
Be Happy in your new forever home Mr Tyrion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 11:20 PM
Senior Cat

If you think it might be anxiety related, you could try a feliway diffuser.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"In rescuing animals, I lost my mind but found my soul."
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 12:16 AM
Cat

Is his UTI actually gone? It sounds like he might still be having symptoms. I feel like I have read before that if the UTI is not diagnosed as a specific bacteria, the correct antibiotics might not be given, thus making them less effective or not effective at all, meaning the problem never goes away. I agree with Jen, diet does amazing things in helping a cat's urinary health. In addition to feeding a moisture rich diet, since he has been on antibiotics, a probiotic might also be very beneficial in getting his immune system back up.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 12:43 AM
Cat Addict

I can't help much, but as you've said, its a stubborn UTI, its a medical problem and you are already actively working on it, so is there any point in getting frustrated? Kitty can read your frustration and that will only add on to kitty's anxiety. No offence, but COOL DOWN and RELAX, and see it this way, be glad kitty does it on the bathroom floor, not the living room floor. I know its easier said than done, but getting frustrated doesn't get you anywhere. Just accept things as they are now until UTI problem is resolved. For the time being, find something to take care of the pee or poo odor, maybe the odor is what is getting kitty to go do it there again and again, if it isn't a problem with UTI anymore.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbshrew View Post
Hi Javagal, can you give us some info on what your boy eats as diet can REALLY impact on the urinary health. ...
Thanks everyone.

He's on Royal Canine SO urinary food, both dry and wet

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I know there's no use in getting frustrated but it's costing me a ton of money and unhappy so I worry about him. I'm anxious to find out what the vet says next week.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Cat Addict

I have been down this road and there is no way that I would have my cat on ANY dry food at all, with UTI problems. Mine has blocked twice, he ate only dry food at the time, it's been 5 years now, no blockages, and I put him on all wet food. Not to say that all wet food will solve the problem at this point, but dry food can probably aggravate it more. I have an immediate distrust of any vet that pushes dry food, even if it is special UTI formula stuff on a cat with urinary issues. I know I am on the right way of thinking too, my sister took her cat to an all cat vet yesterday and he chastised her for giving her cat any dry at all, said no, none. Because he has had issues. I believe that part of the problem is that it is habit now though, and he is continuing to pee places he has peed before, or he has associated pain from the UTI with the litter box. I swear by white vinegar and water and baking soda to remove cat pee smell.

I know how frustrated you are. I have been there. Just recently uncovered a pee problem myself, but it was one cat hassling the other which led to our problems. So I observed them after they ate in the morning and when I discovered the hassling, I kept little hassler in the den with the door closed until the other one with the issue had peed in the box peacefully, and I am continuing to do that every day, although it seems they are all back to normal...and I did add another litter box too. Most cats seem to go right after they eat in the morning, follow him and see where he goes, and see if you can catch him in the act, or sniffing around like he is going to pee, this is what I did. I have feliway spray, I spray a spritz of it every day in each room of my house that they go into. I think it helps too.

Try to hang in there, you will figure this out. I am not going to knock the perscription food, although I am not a fan of it, and if it works, great, the canned stuff anyway, but there is no way I would be giving my male cat dry food AT ALL if he was having these issues. Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health my vet, 3 other vets I know and now my sisters vet that I do not know, all agree with the way of thinking of Lisa Pierson, the vet on this website. It is good information. More and more vets are coming around to this way of thinking instead of pushing their crap food on people.....and like I said, some of the people here have success with royal canin for urinary problems, so I am not going to say it is the worst thing, and at times it is necessary, but many of us opt for a food with better quality ingredients, especially for the price that it is, you could be feeding better quality ingredients. Not every one of us agree on that, but many of us who do agree on this way of thinking do so because we have been down this road and we know what worked for us. And yes, sometimes it doesn't solve the problem, especially if has been going on for a long time, but guess what......many times it does. It did in my cats case, which is why I am so passionate about telling people about it. And many relatives that I have known, and friends, I have seen their cats do a complete change around with a diet change. I have also seen a few on this forum who did not have such luck, so it is not always as simple as the diet change, but it can't hurt to try, and it could help.

Best of luck to you, so many of us have been down this road. I was just crying and having a nervous breakdown myself a few weeks ago about this very issue of peeing, I thought I'd lose my mind. I can relate.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

ThAnks. I really do try to feed him only wet food but sometimes dry is my only option due to finances. The food is extremely expensive and I can't afford the canned food for all four cats. Once my bf moves out, I'll only have two cats to feed and it will be easier on my budget. Plus my pet insurance has denied every single claim so this is becoming extremely expensive. He's my baby though so I'll do what I have to do. I just want him happy and healthy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page