Cats make excessive mess when eating wet food. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Cats make excessive mess when eating wet food.

Is this normal?!

I mean every feeding, they get wet food flung all over the place, the floor, the walls, ect.....then it dries and is hard to remove.

Is there a bowl that prevents messes or something? They are each using one of these: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41TAlNrVUVL.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Premier Cat

I don't have this problem with Book. He's a pretty clean eater.

MowMow is a pig. He gets food EVERYWHERE! He always has. I feed him on a placemat on the counter so I can just go over the whole area(counter around the placemat AND the placemat itself) with a disinfecting wipe when he's done.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Cat Addict

Is the dish only big enough to fit the food in? It might make it difficult for the cat to eat around... but that's just a guess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Senior Cat

Normal? I'm not sure if it's normal, but Galileo always gets food all over the floor all around his plate. It's partly a result of shoveling the food across the plate with his mouth until it falls off the other side, and partly because he doesn't seem to have mastered how to chew without having food drop out of his mouth between bites. I wonder if they make bibs for kitties.

Choco-cat, my foster, makes a mess with certain kinds of wet food too, also because she laps at it until it falls off the far side of the plate. She doesn't always get food all over the floor, but when she does, it's usually a food that she isn't as keen on--she seems to take big bites when I've given her a food that she really likes, and do more licking when she isn't as enthused.

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 03:40 PM
Cat Addict

My girls are pretty good MOST of the time.
When it's something that isn't that interesting it seems that pieces end up on the floor, wall, placemat, etc. But noting rediculous, just some pieces.

Sadie is the one most likely since she likes to eat very fast and ALWAYS has to look over at Belle to see how much she has left. So when she lifts her head with a mouthful to have a look at Belle's bowl, usually bits fall out of her mouth and hit the floor.

Years ago, my oldest use to have a stray "friend" that she would hang out with and share her food with. We called him Fat Cat, he was HUGE, tall and big boned. Anyway, when he would come in to partake of B.B.'s offerings it was as if he took a running start and ploughed through the bowl of food! There would be food all over the place!
B.B. loved having Fat Cat clean up all the food she wasn't so keen on. For years this went on. She would invite him in when we left LOL <eye roll> He was her little friend and she took good care of him lol She doesn't tolerate ANY cat in her territory, ever... the only exception ever was Fat Cat, the messy eater!

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 04:00 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat face View Post
So when she lifts her head with a mouthful to have a look at Belle's bowl, usually bits fall out of her mouth and hit the floor.
I SUSPECT a similar problem with MowMOw. He's always looking around to make sure Book isn't going to attack while he's eating... despite the fact that Book has ALWAYS eaten locked up in another room.

MowMow gets very nervous when he eats and drinks. ALways stop to make sure he's safe.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 04:02 PM
Senior Cat

Neither of my cats are messy eaters, I'm happy to say. They may get small bits of food around the immediate area of the bowl or on the mat, but they don't track it to the rest of the house. I have more than enough other mess to deal with without having to add food bits to the list

Caretaker of two black cats

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 04:04 PM
Cat Addict

Kittens always make such a huge mess! I've tried bowls (like the ones you listed), plates, shallow tupperware dishes, etc., but they still make a mess. I use the large plastic food mats, then wash them off after meals with kittens.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
MowMow gets very nervous when he eats and drinks. ALways stop to make sure he's safe.
My cats do this to, but not because of each other. I'm guessing mine are living by some kind of a feline honour code where they agree to no surprise attacks between them while feeding (they'll swap food bowls several times during a meal, but there is no aggression).

What they're wary of is the slightest little sound, even ones they're otherwise accustomed to hearing. A car passes by, people conversing outside on the sidewalk, the furnace turns on, etc... They'll freeze, look behind them (like someone's going to suddenly appear and steal their food), make sure it's all clear, then resume eating.

Caretaker of two black cats

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 04:09 PM
Premier Cat

I have one out of my seven, that loves to make a mess!
Skittles is 'gasp' a double dipper!!
I plan on getting a video of it,
it does make me laugh tho, to watch her reach into the bowl and then to her mouth, to lick her paw...
and then repeat the whole process over again...
Skittles will not be going to any parties soon!!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page