Gave in and bought a feliway diffuser - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Gave in and bought a feliway diffuser

I hope 1 is enough.

We had another issue in the bathroom on a new rug. my mom was at her wits end so i made the decision to get one. Theyre worth $40 (luckily i can get 6 refills off of amazon for about $60, but i spent the money cuz i wanted it, like NOW.).

I put it near where i desperately do NOT want to have any issues. Which is the last remaining large rug.

This new little rug we tried i had treated with the no mark before. and every day. it took about a week and a half, but it still happened. so either he just really hates little mats, or his scent is in the wood floor under (however, with no mats, nothing happens at all).

I hope if we give this time to work.... i guess i just hope it will work.

i didnt put it in the bathroom (where it happened) since theres currently no mat in there. instead i thought putting it where the larger rug is as preventative made more sense.

will 1 diffuser cover a whole floor of a standard/average sized house? ( i think my mom said 1000 square feet). are walls an issue? I thought about somehow putting it in where the furnace fan blows somehow to circulate throught the whole house thru the vent system.... but thats not realistic. but is 1 per floor realistic?

if we try a new mat later, maybe ill grab some spray first, if it works that is.

how do you tell? just trial and error?

they were sniffing at it about 20 minutes after i plugged it in... they seemed to notice far befor the 90 days it says to give it....

i just hope it *works*

this is the last thing we can think of to try.

hopefully with using this even if other cats are outside, they wont give a hoot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Premier Cat

Claiken, I don't know the answer to your question...
I am wondering what ever happened to the poor cat that was quarantined because it scratched someone...??

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

They ended up having to put it to sleep. They couldnt risk bringing her home and it happening again (i guess it was pretty severe, something about something in their spit if it gets into our bloodline. tetanus shots were involved, and something else). and she was/is too broke to have them too any additional testing (other than the required rabies one). Quite sad, i stilll am sad for them about that.

I had another quick question about the feliway though... can cats get immune to it? if it does work, will it lose effectiveness over time?

For example, when we spray a perfume, a few minutes later we dont care/notice. our noses get used to it. can the same thing happen with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 11:54 PM
Premier Cat

That's a good question! Do cats get 'Immune' to feliway??
Anyone have an answer?

So sorry to hear about the other kitty...

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 12:53 AM
Premier Cat

Mine aren't immune and I know when I've run out. MowMow gets really pissy.

Remember that it doesn't work overnight. It could take a week... it could take up to a month to see real results. So don't give up on it in 2 weeks if there is an accident.

That's why it was suggested to you so long ago.. to give it time to start working.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 07:55 AM
Premier Cat

One feliway diffuser will cover about 400sf or so, one large room. If that room has doors to other rooms it won't cover well. You really need one for every room or more like 3 for your downstairs alone, and they only last about a month so it gets expensive. Ideally, you would figure out the reason for the litter box avoidance and fix that. Have you tried putting more than one box downstairs in 2 different locations? I feel for you, litter box issues are the worse.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Honestly, the only theory we can come up wtih that makes any sense is if theres maybe other animals outside and hes trying to mark his territory? the bathroom does have a window. (but then, so do all the other rooms in the house?)

What we were going to do is give it the 30 days before even trying another mat... and then when we do, instead of using the "no mark" weve been using, just get the feliway spray to use on it once a day. Or, get another diffuser for the bathroom, but that just seems like a waste since its such a tiny room. and realistically, hes not in there much at all

Its not even that hes avoiding the box really... i mean, it took a week and a half for him to go on the new mat we tried. before that with no mat, consistent usage for over 2 months. so we suspect some other trigger. i *hope* its not that hes just being a bugger, and the feliway helps.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Question about feliway

When it comes to the diffuser, Do other smells, such as the smell of cooking food, scented candles burning, etc.... alter or stop its effectiveness?

Just a thought I had.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Premier Cat

I'm pretty sure cats have a good enough sense of smell to differentiate the odors.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 05:39 PM
Cat Addict

Does the rest of the house have no carpeting? Sometimes it may just be a case of no longer leaving anything soft on the floor. If the solution is just not having a mat on the floor that's at least an easy solution.

At the very least I would wait a very prolonged period of time before putting anything soft on the floors. Make sure there are lots of litter boxes, including in the area he was having accidents, and scoop daily or even multiple times a day.

Have you tried different litters? A very last resort could be trying newspaper in the litter boxes, like Yesterday's News, or just making your own... or putting old bathmats into a liter box. I had success for a time with bathmats in the litter box. We had to routinely launder them/throw them out, but it worked pretty well.

Along with the dogs
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page