What else can we do to reduce stress (housecat)? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Cat

What else can we do to reduce stress (housecat)?

My cat has always been a bundle of nerves. Ex rescue and very shy of any strange humans. She is an indoor cat and really only sees her sister and myself and my husband! We have been worried about her the last few days due to constipation so we were really happy to see she had used the litter tray while we were at work! However we still ended up at the vets as she now seemed to be unable to stop trying to pee and was leaving a trail of droplets behind her. The vet says she possibly has stress cystitis which may be firework related (some of the explosions my neighbours were causing made me jump a few times!) or possibly the stress of being constipated.

So we are now dosing her up with laxatives and anti inflammatory medicine to see if this helps.

I really would love some ideas for how to try to reduce stress for a house cat. There is no competition between herself and her sister. She is the top cat - she gets the food and water first and her sister just passively waits her turn! Nothing in the house has changed over the last few years, nothing has changed in our lifestyles at all. I am just worried that she is getting to the age (nearly 7) where stress is going to be more and more of an issue for her and I would like to help her if any one has any suggestions. (short of tranquilizers!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 07:45 AM
Premier Cat

Don't rule out medication. I just finished reading "The cat who cried for help" by Dr. Nicholas Dodman. The book is worth the read - it covers many emotional and physical issues that lead to behavioral problems. He advocates many safe medications that help immensely. Sine you are not looking for a long term solution, I would get this book and read it. Can be done in a couple days.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page