Sorry, but: bum/poo problems - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Sorry, but: bum/poo problems

So this is Hendon, who is totally awesome:

Unfortunately, Hendon has an issue.

When we first got him, he'd quite often step in his own poo in the litter tray and we had to pick him up and clean him. Now, he seems to have stopped doing that (he's now nearly 4 months old) but we have an on-going issue.

Basically, when he goes to do a number 2, he never cleans his bum and there's always a bit... left over. When I come home from work, his bum is always a bit poo-ey and we have to pick him up and clean him. This has gone on so long now that essentially, every time he goes to the loo, we're picking him up and wiping him down.

That in itself is an issue but it's been coupled with something more concerning.

Hendon knows what's coming. And you can see him racing away from the toilet when he's done because he's stressed about being picked up and wiped.

What can we do? I don't want to upset the little fella but I also don't want cat poo everywhere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Cat Addict

Aww, I'm sorry Hendon is having issues

I know it isn't fun cleaning a kitty after their "business." This is usually taught by mum on how to clean. But sometimes lessons get forgotten in the fog of moving and settling in.
I know it sounds crazy but like you say, you don't want him scared and poo everywhere, so, you may want to try a warm cloth wipe (not as scary and or shocking) and maybe offer up a little treat that he was a good boy for not running away. Nothing big, just one kibble or chicken bit or whatever.

Does Hendon have diarrhea? Does he take the time to cover (if he knows you're not going to attack him? (lol)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 09:59 AM
Cat Addict

Yep, what cat face said. They learn this from their moms and if they were weaned early, they might not have picked it up. I've had a few foster kittens who have this problem. I like to use either unscented baby wipes or just a slightly damp warm wash cloth. Try to get him after he eats too (this is a normal time for them to be cleaned by their moms). Just wipe him very gently all over (not just the butt) like a mom would. That should encourage him to start doing it himself.

Poor guy. He his a cutie and that face is pitiful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Jr. Cat

I feel your pain. It drives me nuts when cats have a dirty rear. Especially when they get all affectionate and put it in my face, or sit on me. You can try the warm cloth in quick strokes similar to what a cat would do when they clean themselves. Of course follow up with a reward.
My adult cat Smokey will clean the kittens' rear ends. Some of them will run from him too. He doesn't always get all of it off himself, though. There usually seems to be a tiny bit there. :I
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Senior Cat

Maybe he has diarrhea. If he does you have to find the cause.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kitties!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Hi guys

thanks for the responses. No, he doesn't have diarrhea he just... doesn't quite get it right.

I think what you're saying about the warmer wipes and the reward makes sense and will hopefully de-stress him. He's such a good cat so I really don't want to upset him.

He otherwise cleans himself fairly often, and has been known to clean himself; he just doesn't do it all the time!

See:

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Premier Cat

OMG!! That picture is priceless! !

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 02:12 PM
Jr. Cat

I second that, and LOVE the photo!

I haven't noticed a kitten that cleaned every time, or even a cat. They get easily distracted. I have seen them pounce right out of the box and start playing, or come over to get a cuddle.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 12:35 AM
Senior Cat

Lol. The pic is awesome. Cute kitty.

Kitties!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 06:42 AM
Cat Addict

Great picture!!! It's just so totally feline!! LOL Perfect!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page