here bc after spaying sibling hissing - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

here bc after spaying sibling hissing

our 5 month old kitties were spayed and neutered. Our girl kitty Cocomia had to go back to the vet to be restitched bc she licked open here stitches!!! Now she has the ecollar.
its been 6 days, and every day her brother Tino keeps hissing and growling and even attacking her!!!
I've rubbed tinos scent on her and vice versa. Covered them both in wet food mixed with water. I've even had him spend the night in cocomia's room she's been healing in.
Tino is very loving, lap kitty style, and they were inseperable before!!!!!

everyone elses post says it just takes a couple days but its been almost a week and Tino still hisses at his sister.

she had an injection of antibiotics that lasts in her system up to 14 days... Would that be it?!

any ideas?!?!?!

thanks!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 04:30 PM
Jr. Cat

Was there hissing before the ecollar? I don't see why it would be the abx.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Premier Cat

I would keep them separated until the collar comes off! They'll make up for lost time once all the meds and collar stuff is a memory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

thanks guys. Collar was off yesterday for an hour. Tino still hissed after her licking session. Collar is off for good now so I'm hoping after a few hours she really won't smell like the collar.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

tried the tuna juice trick. And still exchanging their blankets every day!!! And Tino still hisses!!!
I thought it was the cone. But the cone has been gone for over a day!!
Cocomia has cleaned everywhere on her body.,,

do you think the antibiotics that are supposed to last in her bloodstream for up to two weeks is excreting thru her saliva and making her smell funny?~?

ahh
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I'd like to say that the behavior CocoMia and Tino experienced during that trying time is still affecting them to this day. If we take them outside and they smell our neighbors cat, they HISS and FIGHT at each other. They cool down after a few minutes but they both become VERY stressed out! That long stressful month changed their behavior until even now which is over 2 years later.

HINT: If your sibling kitties are fighting after a pet visit, SEPARATE THEM IMMEDIATELY! Keep them separated until the the injured kitty is completely healed/healthy.
I wish I could have gone back in time and kept them separate until I knew Coco was completely healed.

Good luck all.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Usually the cats are okay after a few hours or a couple days at most after a vet visit.

If this was me, I wouldn't take my cats outside, not worth the stress.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by marie73; 01-22-2016 at 04:12 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 03:36 PM
Cool Cat

That is interesting to read, and well worth remembering. I'd never have expected such longterm antagonism. Although... many years ago we did have a cat that spooked over the scent of a human wound/infection and was never the same towards that person again. I guess it's just how it hits the person (or cat). For sure it's a gut-level response. Sorry it went wrong with your two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page