New cat trouble - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

New cat trouble

Hey guys so most of you know I took in Seamus the FIV pos stray like 2 weeks ago. Well our resident cat has done amazingly well considering what a short time its been...
Here's some back story. I have had Asia my resident kitty for over ten years now with no other cats. I wasn't going to keep him until I realized how chill she was being. She doesn't hide.. she plays eats and sleeps while he's in the room. I of course tried to keep Seamus in his own room and do intros by smell but he is an escape artist. He just keeps jumping down the loft.. something asia would never do.
Ok so I don't know what to think. Asia will sleep 2 feet away from him one second and then swat at him while walking in the hallway another second.. total she has swatted at him only 4 times in the two weeks he's been here... he doesn't fight back... she isn't even actually scratching at him but I don't like it... she fights the dog more lol and she likes him... so we havent left them together unsupervised. He is in the bathroom when we are gone... the passed week we have been letting the cats both be free whilr we sleep.. Asia sleeps on me most of the night but I'm a ligh sleeper so I hear EVERYTHING. . No hissing or anything... but this morning the got into a spat in my bedroom doorway... asia must have been guarding it.. I fed her next to the bathroom door this morning hoping that being close to him wjile eating will help... I don't want her to bully him... and I know its only been two weeks but he has been so tolerant of her.. and I dont want thst to change overnight... what plan should I proceed with?. Am I on the right track?... oo she's fiv neg... and a side note the dog is part shepard and if they fixate on eachother and she hisses the runs over and breaks it up.. which is kinda nice lol

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

The torby is asia... the dog is roscoe.. the fluffy kitty is seamus

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1384364997099.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	35369  

Name:	1384365014280.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	35377  

Name:	1384365057515.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	35385  

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 08:39 PM
Cat Addict

Are you feeding them together? That's really the first thing I would recommend so they associate each other with food. You can do the same with play time - try to get them both involved with interactive play. It's great that you have a cat tree (which they clearly use) as they like to have high places to retreat from one another. It doesn't sound like they've had any real fights though, which is good! If no one is hissing, growling, or with claws out, it sounds like they're just establishing their own boundries, etc. and you just need to give it a little more time. It can take several weeks/months for them to fully settle. And they may never be all lovey-dovey with each other. Time will tell...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 08:46 PM
Premier Cat

All things considered, this actually sounds like its going pretty good, for only two weeks time!!
If you're worried about her hurting him, you could trim her claws a little, both front and back.
Emily has some great tips/advice.
Most important, stay calm yourself!
Have patience! It'll work out!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina89 View Post
him one second and then swat at him while walking in the hallway another second.. total she has swatted at him only 4 times in the two weeks he's been here... he doesn't fight back... Sent from Petguide.com Free App

THIS!! This is all I needed to read to know that it is going very well. Don't fret, keep calm. Seamus is a darling for not fighting back! - THAT is 90% of the battle! All will be well in paradise soon. Congratulations!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 01:04 AM
Premier Cat

They are getting along really well, I would say. It is only two weeks, Asia is still getting used to her new housemate. Seamus is a darling boy, not fighting back. Just stay calm,it will get better sooner than you think. Even if they don't become best buddies they will learn to live with each other. Thanks for the pictures, they are all so cute!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Oo good glad to hear we are on the right track...Asia does hiss and growl occasionally but she does that to the dog too and she likes him... she is just the fun police. Last night Asia looked like she was hunting him so I pulled out her feather and redirected her energy.. I sat between seamus and her and played with them both. I drained all of Asias energy but seamus continued to play with the various toys in the house after we were through.. it was really cute.. they say he's around two. But he was so underweight he didn't have much energy... so last night was the first time we saw him play. Asia will play with interactive toys but she's not much into playing by herself anymore.. maybe twice a year she will be in the mood.
This morning I was in the bathroom and seamus was in there grooming and asia prances in not realizing he's there..then freezes and angry meows.. I put my hand out to pet her and she rubbed me for a bit and walked out.. meowing at him with a stern look lol. But she didn't hiss.. which is good since its so close.. I think the playing helped... I can't feed them together since he steals food and asia would go for blood but I have been trying to remember to put her food down by his door everynow and then.. last night I locked asia in my bedroom with us.. the whole night both cats slept.. they're pretty good about not being too active at night

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 01:14 PM
Premier Cat

This is a great report!! Poor Asia probably forgets Seamus is even there so is surprised when she sees him unexpectedly. Even mine that have lived together for years in some cases still hiss when one or the other invade their personal space. You are smart to redirect her attention and possible aggression, with play. She will soon come to associate fun with Seamus and perhaps even give him a rub or kiss (lick). They are both adorable and I think you did good in keeping him!! I know his life has been helped immensely by your kindness.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Its a double edge sword I feel great about saving him. you can tell he's content being indoor only which is great.. but I'm worried about getting attached and having to face possibly putting him down in a few years... its hard having animals. I know he can live a full life.. esp being indoor but I'm a worrier thats what I do lol
Lap cats are hard to find.. so ill take how many years I have with him

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page