Kitten

Meet Mittens :-) behavior issues

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByPG Free1384637303.722971.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	35866

Hello everyone! I'm Sam and this is 7month old mittens and we are from Cheshire
we have had mittens since she was 8 weeks old and what a handful she is! Don't get me wrong, I do love the absolute bones of her but of late her behaviour is going downhill dramatically!
She was spade nearly two weeks about which I think has made her worse!
We have had a number of consultations with the vet and were now banging our heads against a brick wall!
Mittens is a very firery cat and is 75% of the times, wide eyed, bushy tailed, and looking for her next place to bite or scratch you...

Can anyone share any tips at all?

Thanks
Samantha

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByPG Free1384637278.926585.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	35858  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 06:29 AM
Premier Cat

My gut and the very limited details tell me she is a kitten and doing what kittens do. If she is a typical kitten, you could spend much more time playing with her, get her interactive toys like the ball in open wheel thing, and saying NO! about a million times when she attacks hands and toes - she will eventually get the message. You could also consider getting another kitten to help keep her company and expend some of that energy. This is why I adopt seniors and adults - not raising any more babies!

Welcome to the forum, BTW!! We really need more details about the behavior. Mittens is a total cutie! ...and LOOKS like trouble! =D
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 02:16 PM
Cat Addict

At 7m this isn't so much a behavior issue. She's just being a kitten.

Play with her using a wand toy or laser pointer twice a day until she's panting. That'll help quite a bit. You might also want to consider getting her a play mate. Kittens learn manners best from other cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Sorry I didn't really describe her typical behaviour very well...
She has plenty of toys which we rota day by day as rotate on a day to day basis, as advised by the vet, but they don't seem to entertain her
She will be playing nicely sometimes then it's like a switch and she turns nasty- ears right back, tail is puffy and she bites and really grips hold of anything she can!
When we had her spade last week the last comment from the vet was "normally we ask to see the pet after a week to see how the wound is, however with mittens it's best you only ring if you need us"!! The vets have no idea what to do with her behaviour but having raised in a family where we had 4 cats ourselves I can tell this is not normal cat behaviour.

Thanks

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 06:07 PM
Senior Cat

^ my local shelter adopts out kittens at 8wks if the mother was MIA, passed away or was otherwise not available.

I will say that having 4 cats growing up is not enough to say "normal" behavior. That's like meeting 4 humans and saying "yep, all people suck"! They are all going to have different attitudes and behaviors. She is a young baby with tons of energy and non-interactive toys you leave on the ground is not enough to keep her busy.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 06:48 PM
Cat Addict

Ditto what Oozma said, she needs interactive play. Bouncing a tennis ball by yourself is only fun for so long. Grab a wand toy and get that kitten running!

When she goes all crazy it could either be her invitation to play (not a polite one, but kittens don't come with manners), or over stimulation from too much petting. If she always does it when you're petting her then its the latter and you'll need to learn her signals so you can stop before she's had too much. If she runs upvto you and pounces with teeth and claws out its a matter of too much energy and she's wanting to play. You need to play until she's panting, if you stop before she's tired then she'll be wound up!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 08:16 PM
Premier Cat

Get a laser pointer and let her chase the dot. Some cats will do this for hours. I still think she is just a rambunctious kitten with LOTS of energy that YOU need to find a way to burn of.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 11:58 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
Get a laser pointer and let her chase the dot. Some cats will do this for hours. I still think she is just a rambunctious kitten with LOTS of energy that YOU need to find a way to burn of.
My two love it, they will go on and on they don't ever want to stop. They drive me nuts lol

This is their favorite thing to do even after I put the light away they are both still looking for it lol..

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Marlena
Zorro & Patches DSH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page