Thinking of getting two kittens need advice please. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thinking of getting two kittens need advice please.

First of all I am thinking of getting two kittens from the same litter. Is this smart move? I live in a big house so they have plenty room to play and their own space if they like

2nd question. Is it safe for them to use the same litterbox or do they need their own.

They both will be fixed because they are going to be houses cats . Not allowed out of the house.

What about male cats what kind of temperament do the usually have? I have always had females . Any help would be greatly appreciated . They are going to be siamese I am going to talk to the breeder tomorrow. I hope they are not all spoken for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 02:44 AM
Tom Cat

Getting two kittens is a great move - kittens do well with a playmate and it helps keep them out of trouble.

For litter boxes - what is generally recommended is # of cats + 1. So for two cats, 3 litter boxes. I'm not sure how many follow this - from my experience, cats that get along do fine sharing a large litter box. However, if you're having any issues with litter box use I'd immediately get a second box.

I don't know anything about Siamese cats specifically, but I wouldn't hesitate to get a male cat. I had a friend who had always had female cats and wouldn't get a male cat until he met my two brothers - his next cat will likely be a male. I'm not convinced that there is any difference between male and female (neutered or spayed) cats in general and my two boys are just a lovable and great as my two girls.

Please post pictures!
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 03:32 AM
Kitten

I would definitely reccomend getting two kittens. I made the mistake of getting one so now I have to go through the trouble of finding another kitten.
Chloe missed her littermates for about 1 week. Maybe two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanks for your advice. I am so excited. I lost my kitty to kidney failure. I wrote about her in rainbow bridge. Lady Sierra Dawn. The house is way to quiet without her. It is not to replace her but to bring some joy back into my life. She stayed in my parents room I am an adult but I live with my parents. I still go into the room where her bed is exspecting her to be there. My dad is going to talk to the lady where we got Sierra. I will post the results.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 12:11 PM
Senior Cat

Getting two kittens is a great idea! Kittens have SO MUCH ENERGY and if they have a playmate, they can play together instead of climbing your curtains out of boredom They don't necessarily need to be litter mates, but it would be great if they were already bonded when you adopt them. I really don't think gender makes any difference; cats can have such varying personalities and I don't think you can definitively say a male or female cat is more friendly, grumpy, etc. I got two litter mates as kittens- a boy and a girl- and they get along just fine.

As for the litter box- do you have space for a second (or third) litter box? If so, I would use more than one. It will be more convenient for the cats and some cats prefer a more private area to do their business, so they may prefer one box over the other. My apartment is pretty small and I only have room for one litter box (for two cats), so I got the biggest box the pet store sold and that works just fine. I scoop 1-2 times a day, so the box is kept pretty clean.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

With Sierra as she got older I ended up having three litter boxes . One was on my kitchen level in the laundry room. Because that was what she was use to. Then I had one in case she snuck down in the basement and got locked down there and didn't know it. Then she go to the point where she stayed on one level so I got her another one for the top level and left all the litter boxes where they were so she didn't get confused. Kind of funny 1 cat having three litter boxes and on occasion had to change all three. These litter boxes I made out of storage boxes so as she got older I could cut the opening down lower so it was easier for her to get in It. I ended up having to do nesting boxes so she had to turn around when using it.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 01:30 PM
Senior Cat

my mother has a pair of littermates linx points, male and female she brought them home as kittens.. has worked out well over the years. most often a pair of litter mates will get along just great.. she did find out this year when she brought in a pair of kittens (one she was keeping the other was for my sister) that the female of the pair was the trouble-maker(plant-killer) and the boy was guilty by association!!!

yeti cat: two toes short of the record books
eons ago there must had been a creature with a roar
like a vacuum cleaner, it most likely ate cats.
smokey,yeti, pansy, violet, ember and brullie
jolene, tammi and emma the ghost kitties in the house
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 02:35 PM
Cat Addict

Two is always better than one. Littermates mostly get along great.

I'd start with two or three litterboxes, just becase you're in a big house. I would keep one per floor even when they're older and appear to be getting along and sharing.

Some people think males are more friendly than females. I think it comes down to individual personality. I, however, am never going to intentionally get a male cat again. My first died at 3 from crystals (life threatening to male cats), my second sprayed everywhere (another issue more common among males), and Jasper had idiopathic FLUTD (peeing too frequently due to inflammed bladder lining but possibly stress related). I'm cursed. So I just don't ever want to live with these pee issues ever again and getting a female definitely cuts back the risks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 02:42 PM
Tom Cat

Have you thought of adopting instead of going to a breeder? There are so many kittens that need homes. I'm not trying to bash, but sometimes people don't realize that there are so many kittens/cats in need of homes that are sitting in shelters - some even in KILL shelters (which means they are euthanized once their time is up due to lack of space, etc)

Aside from that, getting two kittens together is highly recommended by me!! I am a foster mom and my last batch of kittens I adopted out 2 pairs of kittens, it is always so amazing to see how awesome they are with one another. It's a special kind of relationship & it's always so cool to know that they'll always have one another. They keep eachother company and always have someone to cuddle with and love on, but that DOESN'T mean they won't want you for cuddles and love, too. Plus it's awesome to see their two different personalities.

Litter boxes vary... I have 6 cats and only have 4 boxes, because honestly, theres not many more places to put litter boxes, I already have two in my dining room - which was a big no no when we first moved in. I hated the idea of that, but it's worked out fine, now that I've gotten over it! But anyways, I have 4 boxes, all my cats use them just fine as long as they're kept clean. I have a litter genie, and I will scoop 2 to 3 times a day along with scooping everytime I see one go in them! It's a full time job around here, but I love it this way.

I am a strong believer in saying that every single cat is different whether its a female or a male, I used to always believe that female cats were more solitary/independant but I have one female(Ramona) who is a little more independent in what she does people wise but loves to be around the other cats, she's always getting into trouble with Boogey or Sampson, and then I have one female (Sophie) who would prefer to always be with us people instead of the other cats.. aside from her littermate Boogey.

Danielle & the seven meowzers.
Eechy, Boogeyman, Sophie, Ramona, Luigi, Sampson & Henry.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Just talked to the breeder and she said that all the December kittens are spoken for except 1 female. She recommended getting two females. I really want her kittens had no problems with her. We are looking Feb/March kittens. I think that would be better anyways warmer weather. They will be flown in on a plane or maybe we will go pick them up. But 14 hours drive I don't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page