Friendly cat can help socialize? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Friendly cat can help socialize?

Can a friendly cat help socialize a cat that is afraid, and skittish?

I have a very, very friendly, over affectionate kitten, and a scared, skittish kitten.

Will it help if he plays with her, and spends time with her?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 04:21 AM
Cat Addict

... another cat is not going to socialize another cat. They're another cat, not a person. How much time you spend around the skittish one is the important thing, and if the friendly one is there, the scared one will observe from it that you aren't so bad, so the other kitten sort of acts as a go between. Sit with the kittens on the ground and interacte with wand toys as much as you can daily. At least an hour every day. The more time the better.

How old are they now? Shouldn't the kittens be getting rehomed?

How skittish are we talking still?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Cat

1 was adopted a few days ago, so they aren't too bad!
By skittish, I mean they run away if you get near them, but purr when you hold them, and let you pick them up.

One is more afraid than the others.
I do play with them all with a feather wand, and try and hold her as much as I can.
she is slowly getting better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Also, they are a little older than 3 months.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 11:13 AM
Cat Addict

Agrees with carmel
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 11:33 AM
Premier Cat

I tend to agree with Carmel, too. Human interaction is the best thing for a skittish kitten - but some cats just grow up to be skittish no matter how much you handle them. We adopted a cat while we were living in Sicily and she immediately became pregnant! We kept the only female in the litter and that baby Maggie was never right - maybe it was her Italian feral cat father genes, but I loved, kissed and cuddled that cat since she was 2 days old and she was ALWAYS hissing at me, very skittish and weird. Only after she turned 11 or so did she mellow out at all. Maggie was a long lesson in unconditional love from me. She tried my patience like none other.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 04:06 PM
Tom Cat

I think it can help - I foster timid, scared cats and I think having my cats that are very friendly with other cats kind of show them that humans aren't anything to be afraid of helps. I socialize the fosters lots but I do think having kitty role models who don't stop eating, don't run away and generally show zero fear is probably a good thing. My cats tend to play with the fosters a lot and I think that helps - they get so involved in a good game that they forget to run away or be skittish.

But, like others said, positive interaction with humans is most important.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page