New shy cat won't stop meowing - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

New shy cat won't stop meowing

I picked up bear yesterday and he's very very shy. He came out to play so I thought we made progress. He's been very noisy. Meowing, extended meow with a growl at the end and it's getting to me. I havent slept as it was a long drive to get him. He's been meowing for about 7 hours straight. He'll hide and meow, walk around and meow. He won't even stay hiding. Hes around 5 or 6 months old.... augh.

He used the litter box.. but its like hes changed. He was just shy and now when I go up to him he hisses. I'm incredibly frustrated ..

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 09:59 AM
Senior Cat

He is in a new place, confused and maybe a little scared. Eventually he will get used to you, his new surrounding and routine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kitties!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 10:05 AM
Senior Cat

If he hisses when you approach, leave him alone. He doesn't trust you yet. Always announce before touching with soft voice and see if he let you pick him up. Giving little treats and food is a good way to bond.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kitties!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Today my brother got to pet him. We're both able to pet him and he purrs. When we stop petting him he rams his head under our hands so I guess he likes being pet.

I'm also concerned by his constant meowing. He meowed during the day too. He hasnt eaten yet or just a little bit. We can pick him up too. He doesn't come up to us to get pet but he likes being pet.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 04:10 PM
Tom Cat

You poor little guy has only been there for a day - give him several days or weeks to settle in before you get concerned. He's alone and scared, so he is meowing.

Be very gentle and talk quietly to him. See if he will be interested in playing (maybe a wand toy?). Give him tasty food so he starts to trust you. But mostly, just be patient and give him lots of time to settle in!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 04:35 PM
Cool Cat

The meowing should stop within a week or so as he gets used to his new surroundings. My little Ellie meowed and cried nonstop when we got her, and it took several days to a week for her to start coming out of her shell.

Talking gently, having a set routine of feeding, play time and lots of pets and treats should get him coming around in no time.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Whew, I thought he was meowing because something was wrong (like an injury). Thank goodness we got that out of the way. I got him to play with a feather toy yesterday and he had fun! The previous owner said he's always been shy and has a hiding problem. She rescued him from the streets when he was around 8 weeks old.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

He lives in my bedroom. He hides in the most random places. He's quiet now, I think he might be sleeping somewhere. He grew up in a household with 5 cats so I guess he really misses them too. I have a cat Chloe who is 13 weeks old.

Another concern is he hasn't really eaten yet. I got the dry food from his old home and I want to transition him to raw asap. So I guess I would work on getting him to eat and not be too scared first? Or should I treat him like a feral cat and go really slow? I found this website for taming ferals, it seems like a good start? How to Tame Feral Cats

Or do I just leave him be? I'm just really nervous and the lack of sleep has really gotten to me. I slept for about 3 hours yesterday and 2 hours the day before that.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 12:44 AM
Senior Cat

I'm sure Bear and Chloe will eventually get used to each other. First maybe by scent later by meeting. Leave some food and water for him (close where he hides) so he can help himself. Play and coax him with some treats or the dry food The fact that he is playing and you can pet him is really good. You can change the food later on when he feels more comfortable with the new home. Hope you can get better sleep tonight.

Kitties!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 01:05 PM
Cat Addict

Did h have littermates when you adopted him? Maybe he's calling out....looking to get a familiar response back? Give the poor thing some time. He's scared
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page