Odd potty question.... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Odd potty question....

Ok, feel free to laugh at me, this may be my sleep deprived self over thinking things. Daisy is now around 4 weeks old and doing great. As of last night she weighed a whopping 1lb3oz After several tries of wet food mixed with formula, she dived in with gusto. She still gets bottles as well.

Anyway, onto my strange and possibly silly, potty question. Along with fostering Daisy, I have 7 bottle baby puppy fosters right now. First set is just two, around 3-4 weeks and the second set is a litter of 5, about 2-3 weeks. I allow Daisy to play (highly supervised) with the older two pups and she is usually close by when I am feeding the litter of 5. After each puppy is done eating, I set them in a laundry basket lined with paper towels. This way if they haven't finished eliminating, they usually finish there and not in their beds where they roll it in and just make a huge smelly mess. It *seems* like little Daisy is learning from this and not our litter box lessons. Like I said, maybe I am putting far too much thought into this Daisy will potty either in the basket or next to it (depends on how full of puppies it is at the moment) She has no interest in her litter at all. Granted, she is still itty bitty, I don't expect her to be anywhere close to litter trained. I don't want to inadvertently teach her bad habits either. I show her the litter pan (very, very low sides, non clumping) I scratch in it and use her paws to scratch it as well as put her poo in, set her in it after she has ate etc.

Daisy came into the shelter as a singleton, so I give her as much attention as possible. She has even started sleeping with me. (way to not get too attached )My house is full of dogs at the moment and not a kitty in sight to show her the ropes. Should I stop letting her out with me while I am pottying puppies? Could she really be watching so closely that she is picking this up from them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 10:44 AM
Premier Cat

I think the fact that she is still a tiny kitten with no mom to show her the ropes is the contributing factor. I would separate them all after eating, putting Daisy into a smaller confined area with her litter box while the pups are doing their business. She is going to learn her lessons from someone and the pups are the only role models she has besides you!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 12:20 PM
Jr. Cat

Cats learn from watching so I am not surprised. Sorry I don't have a solution except for isolation. I don't mean solitary confinement just keep her isolated from the pups before she is begging for hooves.(I never gave my pup rawhide, just hooves) LOL

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 03:38 PM
Cat Addict

fter rescueing my female dog, out on walks with my male ....she quickly learned that a lady doesn't squat to pee, butlift her leg as high as she can insert eyeroll

So yes she could be learning from the pups. I would seperate them too during potty time
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

She probably will be begging for hooves and antlers soon (I don't give rawhide either)

Gizmo, that is too funny that your dog picked up hiking her leg!

Daisy does have a large dog kennel that I put her in to eat, or when I can't watch her closely. Her litter box is inside there as well. She doesn't like being in it after she finishes her food, I have spoiled her a bit, she's used to being with me. Meows at me and climbs her door to get my attention. I guess she will just have to suffer the 'torture' of being locked in during feeding and potty times. Good thing I don't take her to go to the bathroom with me. It would be odd to walk in and see her sitting on my toilet, thought that *is* an improvement over my living room rug Amazing how much they pick up just from observing.
Here's a quick picture of the little one

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 08:51 PM
Senior Cat

Omg!
Want!

Jen - owned by ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lisbeth
RIP Miss Effie, Mme Coco, Basil, Horse & Toby
Be Happy in your new forever home Mr Tyrion
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 08:52 PM
Premier Cat

OMG!! She's Adorable!! I love those little kitten toes!!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I know! Aren't those little toes just the cutest. I have to admit, I am considering foster failing with her. My first foster through the shelter, and I may fail already lol Just considering at this point. I do love her dearly, but want to make sure I make a choice based on what is best for her, not what is easiest on my heart. She is a sweetheart and purrs the second I get near her. I keep reminding myself, a lot of that attachment is bc I am the one who provides the bottles She grabs my hands with those itsy bitsy paws, and brings them to her head so I will rub her face. She also enjoys kneading on my lips, luckily without nails, so far. ::sigh:: I absolutely dread the day I have to return her, luckily we have another month or so together.....
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 09:44 PM
Premier Cat

KittyFoster, Those little toes may win out!!
:p

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Success!

Ok, really just partial success, but I will take it. Daisy has started pooping in her box! (We won't count the blanket from yesterday that had poo on it ) Putting her away while I feed and potty puppies seems to be working. She makes it known she isn't pleased, (climbing the kennel door, meowing and reaching her little paws out) but she is making progress.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page