Moosey found her a mousey - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Moosey found her a mousey

Last night Moosey was acting very strange. She was biting and mean and was very thirsty. She was playful in the way that a demon would be playful.

4am this morning I wake up to the Moose scratching around and acting generally crazier than normal. I get up to take away what ever toy or paper she is playing with and when I pick it up I realize it is warm and squishy but not wet.

I threw it down on the ground and knew it was a mouse without having the lights on. After stopping my boyfriend's laughing, I washed my hands and turned on the lights. I find a tiny little gray mouse looking dead on the floor but still twitching and a very chubs black and white cat looking pleased with herself. I grabbed the mouse with a paper towel and set it outside. I gave Moosey treats to let her know she did a good job, even though my heart was broken for the little mouse. I am a sucker for all things little and cute. When I went out this morning, the little baby was dead.

My question is, do cats usually eat the mice they catch or do they leave it as a "present"? We haven't had mice before, but I saw an exterminator at the house down the street a few days ago and I am thinking the mice are moving down the street.

If she finds another mouse and eats it, will it be okay or will it be bad for her? I am going to get some humane traps for the little buggers, because I couldn't imagine killing them.

She was very pleased with herself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 07:23 PM
Premier Cat

She may eat it if she is hungry but a well fed fat cat might just leave the present on your pillow! Was the mouse inside the house or does she go out?

An exterminator down the street could mean anything. My concern would be if someone is putting out rat or mice poison and the mouse ingests it. That would cause the poison to go into the bloodstream of the cat. Hopefully your cat is an indoor only kitty but it can still get ahold of poisoned mice if they haven't died yet. You need to find where that mouse and all it's relatives might be getting in. A mouse can slip through a hole the size of a dime.

I found the beginnings of a mouse nest in one of my kitchen cabinet drawers one day. The plumbers did not seal up a hole that the dishwasher hose went through and the mouse was able to make her way into the hole and onto the drawer. I stuffed the hole with aluminum foil and she has not come back since. We live near water so the battle of the rodents is ongoing but thankfully my 5 are indoor cats.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 07:32 PM
Senior Cat

oOo just in time for the holidays. Since your cat probably isn't starving, it would likely just injure the mouse and then play with it, ultimately leaving it as a dead gift to you. Unless you feed raw... then maybe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Cat Addict

My cat had a little mouse today - caught outdoors and he eats whatever he catches and then comes in for his regular food.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

She is indoor only. She is also very well fed. Taste of the wild dry and wellness wet two times a day. I am guessing she just wanted to play. I think any longer and she probably would have brought the mouse up into the bed and laid it on my chest. She tends to like to lay there and I feel like that is where she would
Leave her present.

Thanks for the replies!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page