Christmas tree went up yesterday--no cat-astrophes... yet. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Christmas tree went up yesterday--no cat-astrophes... yet.

We put our Christmas tree up last night, and so far, so good. Autumn and Ramona were with us last Christmas, but this is the first year they'll encounter a Christmas tree, as they were still confined to their isolation room last year.

My cats really like sitting under the tree, and we let them do that. We put the unbreakable ornaments on the bottom, so that the cats can't cause trouble inadvertently while they're under there. We also put ornaments with bells on them on the bottom, so we know when a cat under the tree is getting a bit too interested in playing with the ornaments.

Hopefully Cosette is over her Christmas tree climbing. She hasn't done it for a couple of years now, but she used to climb 3/4 of the way up and sit on the interior branches and whack at the ornaments. Galileo and Dante are usually pretty well-behaved around the tree though.

I think Autumn and Ramona could cause some trouble if they decide to play under or around the tree. They can get kind of rough, and they'll just bowl through things in their way when they're chasing each other around. I'm hoping that this is just me imagining "what if" scenarios, but we shall see.

I've been allowing Choco-cat, my foster, free run of the house for a few hours a day while I'm around to supervise. She gets so bored upstairs in my room while I'm at work, and I think it's helpful for her to spend some time exploring and interacting with other cats in the evenings when I arrive home. I don't know what she'll do when it comes to the tree though. Choco-cat likes to steal my cats' toys from downstairs and stash them in my room, which is pretty funny, considering that she'll take anything from fuzzy mice to great big wand toys. Half the time, I don't even know she's swiped something until I wake up in the morning with cat toys on my bed that belong downstairs. She must hide them somewhere in the room until I'm asleep because once I go to bed, she's in for the night.

Yesterday, I watched Choco-cat snatch a sparkly reindeer out of a box of ornaments and race upstairs with it. It was really funny, but I have no doubt that she would be just as likely to rip an ornament off the tree as take from the box. Choco-cat is really smart, but she can be pretty mischievous and destructive when she's bored, and she hoards cat toys and other random objects that she takes a fancy to like a Magpie. I once found a collection of empty cat food tins stashed in my closet. I doubt the tree is going to be entirely safe from Choco-cat.

Regardless, there isn't much that any of them can do that would top the multiple occasions on which our previous cat, Spunky, completely took out the Christmas tree.

Has anyone else had any tree-related cat-astrophes so far this year--or any other year, for that matter?

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 03:18 PM
Premier Cat

No catastrophes as of yet. Just the swatting, breaking or stealing of the occasional
ornament hung too low. I rally enjoyed reading your story! Keep us posted about your kitties and the Christmas tree saga! Oh, and pictures of your tree, please!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Banned

My co-worker has had to literally tether his tree to the living room wall in the past because he's had some pretty destructive cats.

OTOH, my brother's two cats love to just lay under his Christmas trees (or I should say, "hide" in the case of one!).

My tree has some serious "bling" on it (over 500 lights and at least 250 ornaments) and I have been looking at it and sighing wistfully this year because I have no idea what next year will be like when I have my own feline roommate running around!

Last edited by AutumnRose74; 12-09-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Cat

My cat is actually ok around the tree. We were kinda worried she might be really interested in the shiny ornaments and stuff but she leaves it alone luckily.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 07:51 PM
Cat

Oh my goodness! Love reading all the little anecdotes, I was wondering if anyone else had Christmas tree problems with the kitties. My kitties as of now are pretty well-behaved. We actually put the presents under the trees this year and they haven't torn them up, which used to be a favorite of their (and I can't blame them, it does look pretty tempting lol).

One of our cats we used to have, who was an inside/outside cat and loved to climbs tree in general used to dash really fast up the tree, and one day we came home to the tree on the ground. We had to watch him realllly closely after that in case he hurt himself!

☆ ☆ ☆
"time spent with cats is never wasted."
[
edgar | michonne | novalee | oliver | kosmo | pumpkin ] <--- my cats
[ grumpy | big poppa | lily | cj | peanut ] <--- my ferals
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 08:21 PM
Premier Cat

I love when you plug in the tree ,and their little eyes light up! 'AH!' Has Choco swiped any ornaments dt8thd? Shiny bulbs might be hard for her to resist...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 08:23 PM
Cat Addict

I had my lights plugged in on the sofa before I put them on the tree and to my horror, one of my cats went to bite the wire. I doubt he will do that on the tree. I also covered the water below the tree as the other cat looked in and I thought she might take a drink. I put bricks on the spokes of my stand to hold it but I honestly don't think I need it. They do like to hide under it in the back.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 09:08 PM
Cat

To my surprise my two have been good so far. They tried to climb up it once and I kicked them out of it they now just lay underneath it which is fine with me.

Now our gsd puppy is another story, he steels our ball off of it

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Marlena
Zorro & Patches DSH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 02:37 AM
Kitten

I have never had any catastrophes with Princess regarding the Christmas tree. When my family first took Princess in, she would eat the tinsel and poop it out. It didn't cause any health problems, thankfully. Since then, we stopped using tinsel on the tree. We also have been using an artificial tree even before we got Princess.

Sometimes, Princess will get on her hind legs and look at the tree for a little while. I think that's really cute. Also, the tree is on a coffee table and she'll sit under it.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnRose74 View Post
My co-worker has had to literally tether his tree to the living room wall in the past because he's had some pretty destructive cats.
That's exactly what we ended up having to do with our trees when Spunky was around. I have no idea what he was actually doing to cause it, but Spunky could capsize an 8ft. Christmas Tree no matter how balanced and secure in the stand you thought it was. Notably, he took out the same tree 3 times one year--the last time, while it was tethered to the wall with screw eyes and thick gauge picture hanging wire. Ugh, it was such a mess! The water from the stand was a great big puddle all over the hardwood floor with bits of glass floating around in it from all the broken ornaments; and, of course, two cats flipping out and racing around the room. It was absolute chaos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemilk View Post
I love when you plug in the tree ,and their little eyes light up! 'AH!' Has Choco swiped any ornaments dt8thd? Shiny bulbs might be hard for her to resist...
She didn't swipe anything other than my cats' toys yesterday because we had people over for choir practice last night; both the tree and the piano are in the living room, and she didn't feel comfortable enough to venture in there with so many strange people, although she did make a couple of trips downstairs and was watching from the hallway for part of the time.

I was surprised to find Choco-cat sitting on the windowsill behind the living room curtains when I opened them this morning though. She was with me all night, but she must have broken out of my room again while I was downstairs getting ready for work. I should have realized something was up because Ramona was acting pretty interested in the curtains, but I just thought she wanted me to open them so she could look out the window from her favorite bird-watching chair. I'm sure Choco-cat would have made a beeline straight for the Christmas tree if Ramona and Autumn hadn't been in the room though.

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page