Unneutered adult male stray suddenly attacking 3+ month old unneutered male - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to miatetangco Send a message via Skype™ to miatetangco
Unneutered adult male stray suddenly attacking 3+ month old unneutered male

There's this male stray that we've "adopted." He comes and goes regularly but we always leave food and water out for him and pet him when he's there.

None of our cats are fixed so there have been some issues between our feral adult male Beta and the stray Alpha (we just gave them these names cuz it kind of suits their personalities). Alpha usually chases Beta, who hides behind our outdoor refrigerator where Alpha can't fit.

The adult female Sunshine is usually the one who stands up to Alpha, and her female kitten Lychee follows suit sometimes. Lychee's brother Fluffy Pie used to get along with Alpha the stray; they'd sniff each other politely and even play fight--but never really fight.

Today, though, Alpha kept attacking Fluffy Pie while I was playing with him. I carried Fluffy Pie a distance away but Alpha followed after a while and attacked him again. They'd never get really into it because I'd "hiss" and nudge Alpha away with my foot, but Alpha would always attack again.

I don't know why he's suddenly hostile towards Fluffy Pie. I have some theories:
-Could it be Fluffy's reached sexual maturity and Alpha can sense there's another active male in the household? I don't know exactly when Fluffy and his 2 sisters were born because Sunshine hid them somewhere during their first week or so. I know they're at least 3 months old (probably older).
-I had been playing with Alpha with the same toy before starting with Fluffy; could Alpha be jealous? I tried playing again with Alpha and the toy but he just meowed in annoyance like he didn't want to play, so maybe that's not it.
-Or was this just another play fight Alpha was trying to initiate with Fluffy?

I'm planning on getting them all fixed soon so hopefully it won't be a problem anymore, but I'll have to wait till after New Year's. I'm afraid Fluffy might get really hurt, or that Alpha might start attacking the two female kittens.

Last edited by miatetangco; 12-25-2013 at 05:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 07:10 AM
Banned

Yes, you are right to be concerned. Alpha might have decided to eliminate the competition - who knows, they might even be his kittens. If I were you I would keep the kittens and Sunshine inside and away from him until you can get everyone neutered. Are you also going to trap Alpha and Beta and get them neutered too? You really should consider that as well, since otherwise as you know they'll just keep making more ferals who will not be cared for.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 09:18 AM
Premier Cat

I agree with Heathers explanation.

Im curious as to the TNR movement and how available spay/neuter is, in the Philippines?

I heard from friends there are tons of abandoned and feral cats where you are.
Is it easy to get low cost spay neuters or is it done by vets who charge a lot at their offices?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to miatetangco Send a message via Skype™ to miatetangco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather72754 View Post
Are you also going to trap Alpha and Beta and get them neutered too?
Yes, I am planning to have them all fixed, including Alpha and Beta. Will contact the vet tomorrow (day after Christmas) since I just got Christmas money--enough to pay for them all

Problem is Sunshine looks pregnant again. We'll definitely still take care of her new kittens, but that's gonna mean another neuter/spay session if ever.

Also, my parents would never allow me to let the dogs or cats inside so I'm just hoping the kittens are fast enough to slip into a small hiding place while I'm not around. It sucks but until I get my own place, they're staying outside :/

Thanks for the answer btw! I figured it was Alpha trying to bully another male. I just didn't know Fluffy Pie would be sexually mature before 4 months. I do think Fluffy is Alpha's son, though, because he doesn't look like Beta or Sunshine.

Btw, Alpha isn't really feral. In fact he's very affectionate, though a bit wild when it comes to petting him where he doesn't want to be pet.

Last edited by marie73; 12-25-2013 at 03:36 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitts & Tess View Post
Is it easy to get low cost spay neuters or is it done by vets who charge a lot at their offices?
I think PAWS (Philippine Animal Welfare Society) is participating with TNR, though I'm not sure to what extent. They do have Spay Day in February so people can have their pets fixed free on that day. Also, PAWS offers low cost spaying and neutering in their main office, I think. But I'm having our cats fixed at a nearby vet since my aunt brings her pets there and says they're good.

Yes, there are tons of ferals and strays roaming around here in the city, dogs and cats. I've seen one too many dead cats who've been runover in the streets and highways here. Sadly people here don't really seem to care as much for animals as they do in other countries. There are exceptions here, of course.

I think cheapest spaying here costs PhP 1000.00. That's less than 25 US dollars, but still pretty costly for someone living here, since salaries are much smaller than in the US. Neutering is PhP 700.00 (less than $20).

Don't worry. Will try to schedule with the vet tomorrow. Thanks!

Last edited by marie73; 12-25-2013 at 03:36 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Premier Cat

That is good to hear that there is a presence of TNR in your country.

I think you will find behaviors changing for the better once everyone is s/n. It takes apx a month for all the testosterone to leave a male cats system once he is neutered.

You must really love these kitties to take your Christmas cash to have it done. Hats off for your compassionate heart for your kitties.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Well I can't help it I've always loved cats, and if we don't take care of them, who will? It helps that they're such beautiful creatures. Though they do prove to be tough kitties a lot of the time. I actually can't wait to see if they will start getting along better or not.

Last edited by marie73; 12-25-2013 at 03:35 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 03:01 PM
Cat

Thank you for caring enough for these cats to spend your money on altering the strays!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page