Do most of you really know what your cat wants? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Do most of you really know what your cat wants?

Its been over 2years and I have just realised I still do not really understand what ET wants sometimes. Am I dumb or what? or is it normal? Do you really know from their meows and body language, what your kitties wanted or what their moods are?

Really, I think I am still clueless. Other than when he meows and rub during or nearing meal time/grooming time, otherwise mostly, its just guess work. Whenever he rub my leg or furniture vigorously (about meal time), I know he's hungry, at other timing, I seriously do not know what he wants. I can only guess. Till now, I still do not know the meanings of his different meowing sounds.

He hardly circles me, but today,he circled around my legs, 2 rounds then lie down, then got up circled 2 more rounds, lie down and then a 3rd time, circled 2 more rounds and lie down. It wasn't even near meal time. I took out da-bird, but he wasn't keen in playing. So, I started doing carrier training, he was so happy getting his baked chicken. I thought that was it. After the session, he followed me round the house again, this time, I groomed him. He was happy again to get his greenies. Then I thought, oh, "is that what you wanted? your greenies" and then shortly after, he started coming to me again and meowing softly and when I ignored him, he went back to his room. He's been pretty attention seeking lately and most times, he was prompting for playtime lasting more than 30-45mins, 3-4X a day.

Whenever hubby started singing to ET, he will lead hubby back to his own room, then flop and show his belly. Or whenever ET is in his own room resting on the floor, hubby singed to him, he will turn around, lie on his back and show belly. What does that mean? hubby asked and I really don't know cos ET had always been afraid of hubby.

Is 2 years long enough or not long enough to understand cats at all? He's my 1st kitty though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 12:18 AM
Cat Addict

No I'm completely clueless during Penny's nighttime plaintive meow. I find her and ask "what do you need sweetie?" and she looks at me like "not you," so I shrug and stumble back to bed.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 12:22 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebraskaCat View Post
No I'm completely clueless during Penny's nighttime plaintive meow. I find her and ask "what do you need sweetie?" and she looks at me like "not you," so I shrug and stumble back to bed.
ROFLMAO!! Sorry Nebraska Cat!!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 12:42 AM
Cat

showing belly/tummy like that is a big sign of trust!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 02:44 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural-cat View Post
Agree! However unlike a dog who is asking for a belly scratch...
The biggest percentage of cats...AREN'T!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural-cat View Post
The funny thing is, he does that to hubby whom he had always been afraid of. He really trusted hubby too? I am just wondering if he is prompting for play, showing he is content or is a sign of trust. He never does it at any other location other than in his own room. Hubby will tease him or sing to him at the living hall, but he kinda lead hubby to his room and then show his belly. What does that really mean?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 03:43 AM
Premier Cat

When Mocha did that, it meant she wanted a big ol' tummy rub. My son's cat, Tela, would do that, but hated tummy rubs. That was always her way of saying...."got your attention, now..." and then she'd run for the door to ask to go out (knowing full well she wasn't allowed!) It is her way of being a little sweetheart and sucking up to ask for something she knows she isn't allowed. Maybe your ET is using it as a means of sucking up for something he wants? Just have to figure out what it is....

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochas Mommy View Post
Maybe your ET is using it as a means of sucking up for something he wants? Just have to figure out what it is....
Ummm....will ask hubby to observe and see if there really is something he wants.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 06:38 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebraskaCat View Post
LOL!! oh man, whata way to start my day! That was classic!

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 12:28 PM
Premier Cat

I think I'm pretty well trained. Book has very few demands. Food and occasional petting. PLay is his only other demand and it's hard to mis interpret because he drops a toy in front of you and stares at you expectantly with a "throw this" look.

MowMow has MANY demands but they are all always the same. Fix my blanket, feed me, worship me, want to beat up my brother but he's hiding from me, can't sleep because 'Soft' is missing, and things like that.

I go by time of day. I know when he naps (and what location for different naps), and when he plays, and when he needs 'Soft' so I go by that. I consider the most likely solution, provide it and see if that helps. Some days I don't think he KNOWS what he wants... he just wanders and meows and when I go find him I get the same look that Nebraska gets.

If I can't figure it out and the Meow doesn't sound...desperate... then I don't worry about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page