Clipping my cat's nails - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Clipping my cat's nails

I give up. Bastet just doesn't like it. She will hiss, yowl, and spit at me when I try to trim her nails. She almost always lets me play with her paws. She has no problem with the nail clippers (she actually considers them her toy).

But she plays with her claws a lot, and they do grow pretty long. I need to have them trimmed. I've decided to eke out a professional groomer, but will I have to pay for this service for as long as I have her?

I would like for her to be able to let me do her nails, but it seems like it isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Any tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 07:54 PM
Senior Cat

She's only going to be more angry if the groomer does it and not you.

Catch her when she's sleeping or relaxing and clip 1 nail, then give her a treat. Move it up to 2 nails as she gets comfortable etc.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I did suspect she might. She's still young (~8 months) and bursting with energy. I've tried sneaking up on her while she's sleeping, but she catches me and I have to abort. I've almost cut her quick because of that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

All my cats with let their groomer AND vet clip their nails without a peep. Cats are more intimidated by someone they don't know. At least my cats are. I can't do their nails when they sleep because they wake up the second I touch their feet. I can do Cali's and Cleo's front nails, but Charlee's nearly impossible. I'm going to have to take her in pretty soon.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 12:19 AM
Cat

Send a message via AIM to bobbycos
i hold my cats tight and let them know who the alpha is (me) and trim their nails carefully

Pia will stay quiet but Mia will voice her displeasure but I am done quick and then we play
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 06:19 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
All my cats with let their groomer AND vet clip their nails without a peep. Cats are more intimidated by someone they don't know. At least my cats are. I can't do their nails when they sleep because they wake up the second I touch their feet. I can do Cali's and Cleo's front nails, but Charlee's nearly impossible. I'm going to have to take her in pretty soon.
I've always wondered when people suggest clipping the claws while they sleep. I think, "yea, sure ..and what medication is your cat on that it doesn't wake up as soon as you touch its feet?"

I know ALL of mine would be like.. "HEY! What do you think you're doing!!???" ..hiss and bolt off.
And then don't EVEN think about going ANYWHERE near them for at least the next month or two because they won't let you touch them!! They get very offended, easily and make sure you understand their displeasure with your behavior!

Last edited by marie73; 01-07-2016 at 04:24 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 09:34 AM
Tom Cat

Does Bastet have plenty for her to scratch around the house?

I have never had to clip a cats claws but then mine go outside, so I don't have any experience with indoor kitties. I would imagine if there is plenty of things around for them to scratch their claws should keep down naturally?

If I did have to get them done I would take them to a vets but I can imagine the whole experience could be unpleasant for both cat and vet! If I even tried with Tosca I am sure I'd end up with some pretty nasty scratches.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 11:08 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyPaws View Post
Does Bastet have plenty for her to scratch around the house?

I have never had to clip a cats claws but then mine go outside, so I don't have any experience with indoor kitties. I would imagine if there is plenty of things around for them to scratch their claws should keep down naturally?

If I did have to get them done I would take them to a vets, but I can imagine the whole experience could be unpleasant for both cat and vet! If I even tried with Tosca I am sure I'd end up with some pretty nasty scratches.
Mine get theirs trimmed every two weeks. They are outdoor/indoor also, but there are varying situations.

B.B. is getting on a bit, and she doesn't do all the running and climbing around that she used to do. You can hear her 'click, click, click' across the floor and quite frankly it drives me batty so, I clip them. Plus the older they get the thicker the claws get if they aren't groomed there's the damage of splitting, along with them going ingrown.

Belle seems to voluntarily stay inside most of the time. She's free to go out, but it's not her thing. She would sooner hang out with me, and whatever I'm doing, OR catch up on her beauty sleep. LOL
So, she needs to get hers trimmed because she doesn't keep them short through climbing and scratching on trees and gravel and stuff.

Sadie is the only cat I've known that must dip her toes in Mirical Grow! I've never seen little claws that grow so fast. LOL By the end of the second week some of the claws are veeeery long, thin and SHARP! Like honest to goodness needles!! Since she DOES love her outdoors, I make sure that nothing is too long to get caught and ripped out because, as you can easily imagine, that is a nasty experience. A real bloody mess.. literally.

When B.B. was younger I trimmed them once in a while, but didn't keep any kind of schedule on it. She took care of them naturally trough being outside. It was mostly the winter months where she would get the odd trim.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 11:19 AM
Tom Cat

Our kittens (10 months) used to be good about letting us trim their nails. Usually I'd do it while they were sleepy, and yes they would wake up and sometimes fuss, but sometimes they were so sleepy they just put up with it. With practice I've gotten better about being quick. The last couple months they have protested, but I don't want them to think that if they pull away, they "win" and don't have to have the nails trimmed. So now, I hold on tight, use my sweet "mommy" voice, trim at least one paw and give a treat after...called my "Trims and Treats" method.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 11:23 AM
Kitten

we have only had Izzy for 7 weeks or so, but as she doesnt go outside yet i have clipped her claws a few times. She wont let me near them with the clippers when she is awake, but in the evening when she is sleeping she doesnt move an inch when i do it. It has to be when she is in a deep sleep though - one where she is twitching and dreaming, rather than just napping and still aware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page