Can someone explain his tail puffiness in the morning? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Can someone explain his tail puffiness in the morning?

So Midas adores me and my boyfriend. Like almost always in the same room as us, sleeps on the bed at night, comes when we call, etc. Generally, his actions towards us involve purring with a healthy dose of drool on the side. Except lately in the bathroom. Whenever we get up in the morning (no other time of day), Midas will do his normal following of us, but will stalk us into the bathroom with his tail puffed up like he is angry. Now, I don't think he is actually angry. I have seen him be aggressive at cats that go by the window, at which time his tail puffs up the same way, but he is making this weird chitter-yowl and smacking at the glass. There is none of that towards us, as he is still purring and rolling around on the bathroom floor.

I have always thought that a cat with a puffy tail was a signal of aggression. I don't know much about his past, such as when he was taken from his litter, but I do know that he was mostly raised with a dog. He doesn't get along with other cats very well, so I thought maybe he just doesn't know how to be a cat, but I don't think that is it. Basically, can a cat puff up their tail to signal something other than aggression?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 07:02 AM
Cat Addict

ET does get all puffed up, back arched, body and tail all puffed up, during play, that got me really nervous the 1st time it happened, thinking he was gonna attack me, I had to retreat, lol...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 07:55 AM
Tom Cat

When one of my cats, Boo, gets really affectionate and happy, his fur puffs. No clue why, but he's definitely not angry or scared.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 08:00 AM
Cat Addict

Cats get puffy tails when something triggers the "startle" button on the kitty. lol Kittens, even some cats, in PLAY, will position themselves where being startled is bound to happen because they enjoy the adrenaline rush.
Kind of like some humans who love going in haunted houses, for that little rush.

The fluffy tail is a tied in reaction to the feeling. Like when someone scratches their fingernails on a chalkboard and you get all goosebumpy. You get goosebumps when you're cold too.

Just trying to explain why the tail puffs and it isn't always anger or aggression.

The time to REALLY watch out is if he has a spiked back and that fluffy tail is pointing down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 08:48 AM
Cat Addict

Yep, I've seen mine get fluffy tails during play time, not always during times of aggression. If the ears go back, that's usually my queue that a cat is mad. Is there something in the bathroom that he normally plays with (a favorite toy or something else he's played with in the past)?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Cat

He's started doing it at other random times too. We have turned the heat down because our last bill was higher than we could easily pay, so maybe it is a cold thing? Neither of us seek him out to give him affection, we just give him a scratch on the head here or there, or let him sit and drool on us while we watch TV, so maybe he puffs up at those times because he is anticipating affection? Like I said, he is full of purrs and happiness during these times, and it is always him approaching us.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 06:02 PM
Premier Cat

Mocha always "puffed" her tail when she was inviting us to play with her....and Heaven help us if we didn't play with her. We would get some good smacks on our heels or she'd get into a full-on mad and back us into the corner!

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page