Kitten won't stay off reptile cage - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Kitten won't stay off reptile cage

I have a leopard gecko and my kitten won't stay off her cage. I'm afraid that as Vanellope gets heavier, she's going to fall through. I'm not even sure how she gets up there. The top of the cage isn't very sturdy either. Vanellope likes going on top of the cage and laying next to the heating lamps. Anyone else with cats and reptiles have this problem? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByPG Free1388798247.365680.jpg
Views:	1380
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	41194

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 09:32 PM
Premier Cat

I would guess that she loves to sit heating her tummy! Perhaps put something up there she doesn't like or make it a bit more uncomfortable somehow....
And...offer her a nice warm spot instead....a heating pad/blanket on low.

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 09:46 PM
Cat

Send a message via AIM to bobbycos
heating pad on low, excellent idea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 09:47 PM
Cat Addict

I've got a few methods I use to keep all the pets safe:

-complete separation.
I'm currently boarding two snakes and they were put into a completely cat free room. The door is always closed and the cats might be allowed in for a minute with me right next to them.
now ask how much my guinea pigs are enjoying sharing a room with snakes, lol! (Ok, the pigs don't care, but the boa spent the first 24 hours frantically trying to break out so she could reach the pigs. Her cage is completely boa safe.

-positioning
Piper, my fat tailed gecko, is in a 20gal long. It fits nicely on one of our bookshelves and with a small fluorescent light fixture there's no room for naughty kitty paws to cause problems. (Her heat is all from a UTH)

-prevention
My fire belly toad tank has a thin screen lid that would never hold a cat, they don't need a light so I put the cutout from where the sink went when our counters were installed on top of the tank. It protects the toads from cat hair and the screen from falling in...but the cats can technically still sit on the tank.

Duke, rescue leo, lives in a huge tank right in our kitchen. I found a heavy duty wire top that's definitely safe for cats (I think you can order them online. Its not mesh though) then I covered the underside in heavy duty plastic (cat fur) and suspended the lights inside the tank (naughty paws). I can get away with this because the tank is fairly tall, and I was careful to keep the heat away from the plastic. Most of Dukes heat comes from his UTH anyways, I have plain house bulbs in the fixtures. The cats love to sit on his tank in the winter and soak in the heat.

-maturity
the cats (read: Doran and Muffin) were much more interested in breaking in when they were kittens I made sure my tanks were always cat proof, heat fixtures included, and since they never successfully broke in thry eventually gave up.

I will say the easiest option by far is to simply keep your reptiles where the cats can't go. A good second would be to build a casing for above the tank that would protect all cords, light fixtures, and the screen from mischievous paws.

I can grab some pics of my different tanks if you'd like to get a better idea of what I did.

*edited to add* don't just give her another option. That's a good idea, but kittens and exposed heat fixtures aren't safe. It only takes one mistake to start a house fire.

Last edited by librarychick; 01-03-2014 at 09:49 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 10:19 PM
Premier Cat

Ah Yes, Cats and reptiles and other little Critters!
My solution was to take hard wire, fold in half, so its double strength, bend to fit over edges and its Strong!
No cats have been able to defeat it!
I did the same thing for the Mouse House!Click image for larger version

Name:	1388801909361.jpg
Views:	888
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	41218Click image for larger version

Name:	1388801924569.jpg
Views:	858
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	41226

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 10:28 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanellope13 View Post
I have a leopard gecko and my kitten won't stay off her cage. I'm afraid that as Vanellope gets heavier, she's going to fall through. I'm not even sure how she gets up there. The top of the cage isn't very sturdy either. Vanellope likes going on top of the cage and laying next to the heating lamps. Anyone else with cats and reptiles have this problem? Attachment 41194

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
That looks like my girl cat lol, she's not allowed in my sons room where his turtles cage is but she does sneak into the room on occasion and that's where I find her..

Marlena
Zorro & Patches DSH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 11:04 PM
Tom Cat

I saw a My Cat From **** episode EXACTLY like this, cat wouldn't stay off the reptile cage. I wish I could remember how it went!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 11:09 PM
Cat

Oh I love that show, I really wish they would play it on tv..

Marlena
Zorro & Patches DSH

Last edited by marie73; 01-04-2014 at 12:37 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 11:20 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckle& jeckle View Post
Oh I love that show, I really wish they would play it on tv..
I watch it online: Watch My Cat from **** online (TV Show) - on PrimeWire | LetMeWatchThis | Formerly 1Channel
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 07:45 AM
Premier Cat

^^^^ Yep, this. Easy fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page