New cat VS old Cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

New cat VS old Cat

Now I realize this question may be asked often. And I have searched high and low and done some homework on this issue. But just as not every cat is like the other, not every situation is either.

This may be alot to read, but please help!

My wife and I got a young female cat back in 2011. She was found roaming a parking lot of an industrial park, but she adapted well to being an indoor cat. Her name is Luna and she has lived peacefully for the past few years. About 3 weeks ago we decided to get another cat, a companion for us but also for Luna. We ended up adopting a male of about the same age as Luna (2 years). His name is Kaygee. We got him at a local animal shelter and he was fine around other cats. Very lovable, likes to play, easy going.

Here is a summary of the situation as it is now.

We have a new cat that is trying to establish dominance over our old cat.

Shame on us, without doing much research ahead of time we brought Kaygee home to the house totally unprepared for what was in store. I told my wife to put the new cat in the bedroom and let him get settled in but she insisted on letting the two cats meet face to face. So we let him out of the carrier and my resident cat Luna proceeded to jump to higher ground where she would his and growl wildly. We expected this, but a friend told us to let them figure things out. Luna would not attach Kaygee but she would not give up her position either.

Kaygee would ignore her for the most part, but he would like to keep sitting closer and closer to her until finally he pounced on her trying to swat at her, then chasing her under the bed. (This still goes on to this day). It seems like kaygee is trying to challenge her territory. We are not sure how to handle those encounters.

So after a few hours of tension, I finally read online the proper way to introduce cats. So i put the new cat in the bedroom and closed the door. Luna (old cat) stayed in the main house. I put out towels for them to lay on, rubbed it on them, and then swapped the towels through out the day to inter-mix thier scents. For a few mornings we would feed them by the door. Luna would still growl and his at him from behind the door.

We did this for a few days, and then we tried the baby gates. We put up baby gates and played with them on both sides of the gate. Things were going ok, however Luna was much more nervous about Kaygee and would not settle down.

For the two weeks, we would swap spaces every few days. Kaygee would stay in the bedroom for a few days, Luna in the rest of the house....then we would flip them for a few days. Our idea was maybe this would make it so neither cat had territory over the house and the scents would intermix better.

Finally, when they were acting a bit calmer, we decided to let them be face to face. So far it has been going well, Kaygee will stay away from Luna for awhile,but then he will eventually work his way closer and closer, encroaching on her turff, until finally a battle will ensue. Luna loves to sit on the computer desk, sometimes kaygee will go after her tail from underneath, this will start a brawl between them from above and below the desk.

We are not sure if we should let them "fight" or not. They dont seem to be hurting each other. Kaygee just chases Luna around batting at her. She bats back at him, but no fur is flying or super loud screaming. Its getting harder to keep them apart because every day Kaygee tries harder and harder to get out of the bedroom, or into the bedroom (depending on where he is staying for the night). He wakes us up with his scratching and banging at the door and has even ruined our carpet by scratching at it.

Thank you for reading, any advice is much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 09:24 PM
Senior Cat

I think kaygee is going to be the dominant cat no matter what. We took in a new cat and we noticed the chasing at batting behavior... I would try redirecting kaygees attention into play... I found our cat was looking at the new addition as a toy... so if we redirect her play aggression into a positive place it worked better than intervening. I found that intervening caused the chases to be more frequent and severe.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Playing with them, or distracting them seems to help. But Kaygee seems like he is intent on seeking out Luna at times. (Kaygee is the new cat btw).

We will continue to try what you suggested. Thank you.

One thing that makes this all more difficult is the fact that our princess Luna does not like treats, and only eats wet food. So trying to distract them with treats is hard to do seeing as Kaygee is the only one who enjoys them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 09:42 PM
Senior Cat

You could prolly give them wet food treat session... I knew that kaygee was the new one... I think he may have a stronger personality as luna... so I wouldn't fight him being dominant...I would try and work with it... try playing with them for 15 mins or so and then give them a bit of wet food together... like you would if you were giving treats... my cat has gotten a lot nicer to the new kitty since the treats and play... but beware of catnip... lol it has caused a fight every time.
... I think it can get better...I think you will get better advice from others as well... I am only going off of a single experience. .. so there are others that deff know more

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you for the advice. I really hope things improve. This is our first time having more than one cat so we are not sure to know how to react. Its been about 3 weeks, I just dont want this to be going on forever. Having 2 litter boxes, and trying to sneak out the bedroom door at night is getting tiresome.

I have faith in them though, everyday is a small step, I just wish I could figure out how to make it easier for them.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 11:04 PM
Senior Cat

I completely understand how it feels... this is my first time having more than one cat... it is truly puzzling and its frustrating trying to figure out how to approach it all.. I hope things get better for you... ... a nice book that may help is cat vs cat... I haven't gotten it yet but someone on here recommended it to help learn how cats communicate heirarchy and why

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 11:17 PM
Jr. Cat

My cats still tussle on occasion, after over a year of living together. Our new kitten (boy) out grew his sister and started getting more dominant. They've been like this since their introduction, chasing each other around, play-stalk and pounce. We mainly watch for any hostile body language (ears back, hair standing, etc) cause usually they're just playing. We try to get his energy spent on fetching cause she gets tired (and annoyed) quicker.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Ok I take it back, a few minutes ago they had it out....BAD. Kaygee literally gave full out chase through the house. Both of them knocking things over and scratching thedesk they were on. Just found some fur laying around. They mean business. I put Kaygee in the bathroom as a time out because he was the aggressor. Not sure if thats what I should be doing.

Ugghhh so frustrating.

Last edited by marie73; 01-05-2014 at 05:45 PM. Reason: language
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 02:23 AM
Cat Addict

If there's literally fur flying, it's more than what I would consider allowable play/fighting behavior. Maybe you could try a calming product for the new cat: Feliway plug-in, pheromone collar, spirit essences.

Multi-Cat Households

SENTRY® Calming Collar for Cats - Sale - Cat - PetSmart

BESTSELLERS

One other recommendation in the long term is the book Cat vs Cat by Pam Johnson-Bennett. It has some good education and some usable tips for multi-cat households, especially homes like yours with one pre-established cat and one newcomer.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I will read up on those, thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page