A Ghost? Insanity? What's going on with my cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

A Ghost? Insanity? What's going on with my cat?

We brought home a cat from a local no-kill shelter about two and a half months ago. Estimated to be about 3 years old. Neutered male. Sweet disposition, very affectionate and calm.
He recently started meowing and howling a few weeks back for what seemed like no apparent reason. But it was infrequent and I paid it no mind. But this behavior has become a daily occurrence, happening every night when we shut the lights and go to bed. Bedroom doors are open and he has free run of the house. Adding to my confusion is that each time he begins to cry he picks up in his mouth a baseball sized ring that an 8 year old made for him from pipe cleaners. He totally ignores this toy until the crying begins, then is picks it up and carries it around the house while howling. This morning he started in at 3:30. It's strange behavior I have never seen previously from any cat we've had.
My wife insists there is a spirit in the house and the cat sees and senses it. I have no idea about that. Is there a cat shrink in the house?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 10:48 AM
Tom Cat

I'm not, but I believe in ghosts. The ghosts in the mind of living creatures that is. Something is awakening a thought, a memory, or some environmental thing is awakening something in this cats brain?

When CC passed on two years ago, his housemate, Eliza who was a few years older at the time would at times sit and howl. Perhaps a memory flashed in her mind? Or maybe his spirit came by? His ghost? We don't know but we know it didn't happen right after his passing (he died on our bed with us there) but not too long after either. This lasted for a few months.

In your case, I agree with your wife.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I'm certainly open to that possibility. Of course, being human makes me want definitive proof.
I think the most perplexing thing about his behavior is the seeming connection to the pipe cleaner toy. He ignores it completely all day long. But when he begins to cry at night he picks it up and carries it around, dropping it off in another location in the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 12:20 PM
Cat

We had a cat that now lives with my parents. (Supposed to be temporary but he loves it there.) He has a stuffed puppet of a blue cheetah that he carries around the house at night. He howls while doing it too. And he only pays attention to the puppet at night.

Dogs have owners, cats have staff.

Our home belongs to Hera, Zeus, and Athena.
And there are some humans here too!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 12:20 PM
Cool Cat

My child hood cat did this, seems to be a prey related thing.. Carrying prey and howling with it in her mouth.
Mr. Ponty did it too, but carried stuffed animals around and would howl and pile them up?? Really odd. He howled when humping our sweaters...
Odd behaviors, and not ghost related in our case...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Interesting that other's have seen similar behavior in their cats. From now on I'll describe him as quirky, rather than crazy.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

One other thing I forgot to post above. I think the predator angle is a good one, Speechie. Whenever the cat catches a lizard he carries it in his mouth and makes that same howling sound as when he is carrying that toy. Perhaps he morphs into hunting mode each night.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 03:21 PM
Premier Cat

I am no expert by a long shot, but the predator idea seems likely. Cats were nocturnal in the the past (of course mine like to play at night like their ancestors!) but he is probably doing the instinctual hunting at night. I know, annoying but pretty amazing.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 03:45 PM
Premier Cat

When Mocha was young, she would wake me up regularly howling at the top of her lungs. I'd fly out of bed thinking she was trapped somewhere or hurt....and often find her on the stairs or in the hallway with her little "red ball" (pompom). She'd drop it as soon as she seen me and then go into that "play with me" mode.

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 04:54 PM
Cat Addict

My cat was doing that more often at night. I sleep with the bedroom door closed. I used to get up and take her gift and say thank you. Now all I have to do is say thank you so she can hear me and it stops. When I wake up the toys are by my door. Since I started doing that she seems to do it less and less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page