Kitten not using scratch pad - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Kitten not using scratch pad

Hello I brought a scratch pad for my kitten but she was not interested in it I made a scratch post but she is not interested in that also she just likes my sofa she is 11 weeks old I don't know what to do about it please help me guys thanks.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 08:45 PM
Premier Cat

You may need to place several all over her playing area. You will need to redirect her to the scratching post/pad each and every time she goes for a no-no place. Do this for the next year or until the cat gets it.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 08:49 PM
Tom Cat

You probably haven't found the right one yet. It is super sturdy? Can it support her weight? Is it in a good location? Likely it should be right next to the couch, if that is where she likes to scratch. You may need to try a few types - some cats like more horizontal scratchers, some like vertical ones. It absolutely needs to be sturdy though, not something that she can tip over.

Also - don't scold her for scratching on the couch. Put a nice, sturdy scratching post right next to it and if you see her scratching on the couch pick her up, put her next to the scratching post and immitate scratching with your hands. If she starts to scratch it, praise her heavily. Cats want to be praised and be good, but they don't react well to punishment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 08:59 PM
Cat Addict

You could try putting some catnip on it, but some kittens don't have that reaction to catnip that bigger cats do, in my experience anyway. Really the thing that works the best is to leave your kitten in a bedroom or bathroom or some room where it will be comfortable, preferably with a window and maybe a comfy bed, or better yet, a cat tree, and leave kitty in there when it cannot be supervised. Then, only allow the kitten out when you can follow it around and the minute it goes for your couch, give her a loud, sharp NO, with a clap of your hands. You may also need to use the water bottle at first to spray them along with this. They learn to detest the water bottle pretty quickly. And if you stick with NO, and that one simple word, they can learn NO pretty quickly, but you have to actually catch them in the act. You can't go up to her after she has already clawed the couch and do this, it has to be right as they start doing it, that is the key. I do not believe that kittens, or puppies that young should have free run of the house, because there are too many things to get into, and too many bad habits to start that are later harder to get them to stop doing. I am a firm believer in them only being out when you are there to watch them. Same thing at night. Kittens are going to want to wake up and have playtime at 3-4 in the morning. But if you confine them to their own area at night, they can learn that nighttime is for sleeping, which is against their nature, as nocturnal animals, but they can learn it. Also, a big dinner right before bedtime will help them sleep better. When my babies were really little, they got their biggest meals right before bedtime, and then up in their rooms. Yes, they are still going to wake up at an ungodly hour and want to play and raise a ruckus, but they can very easily learn the routine. I have two boy cats that are put up in their room at 9:30, mostly because I have an older female that can't be out when they are, and she has free run of the house all night, so the boys sleep in their room all night, and they have learned that nighttime means sleep time. Cat's really like when they have an established routine too, so if you make it a nighttime routine, like it is in my house, they learn to expect it and eventually they don' t protest to it, it's just part of the routine. My youngest one, Stephano, he still makes a fuss for about 5 minutes when we put him up in his room at night, but then he gives up when we ignore his cries, and he does cry like he is being murdered for a good five minutes, lol.

I just think the best way to stop unwanted behavior, like clawing the furniture, is to keep them up when you can't be there to watch them. And usually, you will see that cats do this clawing thing at the same time. For instance, my Stephano, as soon as I let him out of his room at 5:30 am, he has a rug that he is allowed to scratch on (it's old and doesn't show so I let him), but he goes right to the rug to "get his scratch on", as I call it, lol. Now, he used to go for my couch and he got the NO, and the water, and the loud clap, and it only took a few times and he knew the couch was off limits. YOu have to kind of know when to expect it, that really helps if you can anticipate when they are going to do it. Another one of my cats, he "gets his scratch on" right after he eats his breakfast, he does the scratch, then goes to the litter box, every single day. Most cats eventually establish some kind of routine. I have a giant cat tree that he loves to scratch on, and we have been lucky enough that it is what he prefers to scratch.

Now, every now and then, my two boys will be playing and tearing through the house like two tornadoes, and they will zoom across the couch and you will hear their claws as they leap and bound over it, but I don't count that as scratching it, it's just them being cats, and that does happen. It drives my husband crazy and he will yell at them a loud HEY!, which means absolutely nothing to them, because they know NO not hey....and they are just playing anyway, so they don't even know what they are doing. So I just accept those little incidents where claws meet the couch as that is the breaks of having a cat. Every now and then, STephano will get some wild hair up his hiney and try to scratch the couch and my house is not that big, so I can catch him in the act and give the loud NO and he runs. He knows he isn't supposed to do it, and it is a rare thing when he does it. He has two cat trees that he prefers to scratch.

It's also a good idea to contain the young kitten to a room at this age because you want to establish good litter box habits. When they are this young, and they have the whole house or apartment to explore, they may find some alternate place to go to the bathroom. But when they are in a smaller area, and the litter box is right there, they will usually use it. You don't want to leave any clothes or blankets on the floor right now, nothing that could look like a good place to go, try to leave as little on the floor as possible. Once they are a little older, and they have established these good habits, then it is safe to let them start staying out longer.

I am no cat expert, just a cat nut, lol. But this is the way I do things, and it works for me. I just think little kitties are like toddlers, if you leave them too much to get into, they will do just that, get into everything and into trouble. They are so curious. They can still get into trouble in their rooms, and you should make sure you have "baby proofed" whatever room they are in too.

Ahh, they joys of having an 11 week old kitten! It's like having a crazy 2 year old, but one that can do ninja tricks, running around your house causing all kinds of trouble
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 09:00 PM
Cat Addict

I'm so envious of Marcia and others, you have the ability to say in one or two sentences what I try to say in like 100
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 09:09 PM
Premier Cat

RE: What howsefrau said about catnip...
Some kitties do seem to be immune to its effects...
However--another poster on the forum here found honeysuckle to often have an effect on those kitties that weren't interested in catnip!
AND...Guess what? Walmart is now carrying
a 'sachet' that combines the two of them!
I bought a couple to try, haven't had time yet, but I'll let you know...!!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 09:18 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7cats2dogs View Post
RE: What howsefrau said about catnip...
Some kitties do seem to be immune to its effects...
My two female kitties don't care for catnip but LOVE honeysuckle.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 11:53 PM
Cat Addict

I have never heard of honeysuckle for cats, I want to try this now. Interesting.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 12:02 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by howsefrau32 View Post
I have never heard of honeysuckle for cats, I want to try this now. Interesting.
Howsefrau, try the 'search' function on the forum, type in honeysuckle and see what comes up...
I almost want to say, it was a post by NBrazil...but I can't swear to that...!! :p

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 12:14 AM
Cat Addict

Pick a few scratchers made of different materials - sisal, cardboard, carpet remnants (some people say not to use carpet because they will get used to scratching carpet, but my Penny loves her carpet post).

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page