Indoor and indoor/outdoor - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Indoor and indoor/outdoor

I know this is often a controversial topic but anyways...

Our almost 15 year old cat has been an indoor/outdoor cat since about 6 months old.

We have purposely kept our newest cat, a kitten we have had since early August as an indoor only cat.

This has not been been nearly as much an issue this extra cold winter as the older one goes out much much less than is the case any other time of the year.

But with a busy family it was problematic not letting young one escape this past summer. And as quick as we could we scooped her back in. But in the summer when kids are home and letting out the one it isn't easy keeping the other one back (as the older one comes in and out)

Do some of you have multiple cats that are indoor only with others that go out and come back in?

How did that come to be and how do you manage their different routines?

Thanks for your experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 10:24 AM
Banned

I think a lot of people manage it with cat doors that have a magnetic lock. The cat that you want to be able to go out wears a magnet on their collar that allows the door to open, and of course the other cat would not have one.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 10:26 AM
Cat Addict

I had divided schedules for about the first 6 months of the 'kitten's' lives.
We have a cat flap that uses a magnet to keep the door from swinging freely and the wind blowing it open.
That magnet has a little bit of pull to it in order to be effective, so a tiny kitten, even an inquisitive one would not be able to push past the 'break point' until they were taught.

My oldest cat 14 years, was free to go in and out of the cat flap, no point keeping her locked in.
I guess the kittens thought my oldest was capable of magic or something. They would watch as she slid out the door and occasionally see her as she came back in, but they weren't able to figure out what was going on with the door. Everytime they went to the door it didn't do anything for them!

Finally at around 6 months one of the kittens figured out to push against the door, the magic went, 'poof'. I had to train the kittens what outside life was about and coming in at sunset.
We accomplished all that and for the longest time the kittens got locked in at night and I would allow the oldest one to go out up until the time I went to bed. That was because the oldest one use to hate a litter box.
Over the past month or so, the oldest one has discovered litter boxes and their comfort compared to the flower bed outside!! So, now they ALL get locked in at sunset and let out again in the morning.

But my house is far from a "busy family", So I'm not exactly sure that I have any advise/tips to offer. But I think a cat door is definitely going to be needed. maybe one with those magnetic tags that unlock the door for the cat wearing it on the collar. Then don't put one on the kitten, and it won't be able to get out? It's an idea

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 11:13 AM
Cat

I have to confess that we gave up on this issue. We were going to let our youngest cat enjoy the outdoors but not until she was a bit older and more comfortable with our home. (She was five months when we got her.) We closed the cat door and the older two let us know when they wanted out.
Well naturally it took no time at all before she recognized the sound of the doors unlocking. And she is FAST. For almost two months we were chasing after her outside, or holding her down inside so someone could squeeze through the door. Being the last person out of the house was horrible. We finally gave up and let her out.

Dogs have owners, cats have staff.

Our home belongs to Hera, Zeus, and Athena.
And there are some humans here too!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather72754 View Post
I think a lot of people manage it with cat doors that have a magnetic lock. The cat that you want to be able to go out wears a magnet on their collar that allows the door to open, and of course the other cat would not have one.
I guess I have been out of the loop too long. I had not heard of this "device". Thank you.

Are there more than one brand of such magnetic lock doors? (Hoping for a recommendation).

(Although now that I think of it it may not be possible to install it for any of our doors as every entry we have has a storm door and a regular door.)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

We have tons of threads on this subject.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page