Air freshener-WWYD? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Air freshener-WWYD?

Just purchased an Airwick Freshomatic and haven't opened it yet...but it runs on batteries and my understanding is that it puffs out a bit of freshening scent at intervals. I want to put it near the litterbox (in the laundry room), but concerned that if they hear the "puff" while in the litterbox, they might freak out and be scared to use the litterbox in the future. I would put it up on a counter, not at litter box level, but didn't know if the sound alone would upset them. Any opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 05:46 PM
Cat Addict

LOL well... I guess I would say... @%*&@! Plug it in, somewhere else and get a quiet air freshener.

ETA: you could always plug it in the next room, but near the doorway and it will still be useful for where the litterbox is

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 05:47 PM
Banned

Do they have a tendency to be scared of new sounds? If so I wouldn't do it - you don't want to take a chance on them being skittish about the litter box. I know one of my cats would be fine with something like that, for the other two I suspect it would be an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I haven't tried it yet, but wanted to make sure not to make a big mistake. They are skiddish around unknown people. The device reminds me of that device I've read about here that puffs the air to prevent cats from going somewhere you don't want them (placed near outside door or counter). I guess putting it somewhere away from the litter area would probably be best and then if they don't seem to avoid that area, move it closer to or in the laundry room. I was wondering if anyone here uses this air freshener and any potential issues. Thanks for your inputs
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 06:01 PM
Cat Addict

Hmm, I don't think I would put the air freshener right beside the litter box if it sprays out a puff of scent.
I'm thinking what if the cat is facing the air freshener when it goes off? or would the cumulative air freshener stuff land in the litter making it too smelly for the cats to want to go in it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 10:48 PM
Senior Cat

I have one of those automatic air freshener things next to a litterbox. I have it facing away from the opening and the cats don't mind it.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanks molldee. I still haven't set mine up yet...is it one quick quiet "puff" of freshness or do you think it might bother a more jittery cat. I was thinking of putting it on a counter just above the litterbox.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 06:36 AM
Premier Cat

My experience with them was this. I placed it near the litter box (up high on top of a cabinet near the ceiling) in the laundry room and right after that I started having someone pee on the LR rug - pretty sure it was not DH. I got rid of the air freshener and the problem went away. I don't know if it was the puff sound or the smell. Cats are super sensitive to smells.

Never used another one in the laundry room again.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 06:43 AM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotu View Post
Thanks molldee. I still haven't set mine up yet...is it one quick quiet "puff" of freshness or do you think it might bother a more jittery cat. I was thinking of putting it on a counter just above the litterbox.
That's where mine is, it's on a dresser above the litterbox. One of my cats is a scaredy cat who jumps at random noises and he doesn't seem to pay attention to it. I think because it's high above the box, they don't notice when it puffs.

I guess it all depends on your cat. Maybe try it while you're home and sound the box so you can monitor what your cats do when it puffs.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 08:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
right after that I started having someone pee on the LR rug - pretty sure it was not DH.
LOL - only pretty sure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page