Which product is best for toliet training? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Which product is best for toliet training?

Like, for human toilets. I've heard of CitiKitty and Litter Kwitter, but does any one have any product recommendations or cautions? Not having to scoop litter ever again is really intriguing, but before I shell out money on products, I'd like to hear what works. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

The only drawback is that you won't be able to tell if there's a health problem (diarrhea, not peeing, peeing too often). I'd rather scoop.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 07:38 PM
Tom Cat

As a caution, some cats have big issues with this. They don't differentiate between toilets and things like sinks and bathtubs. Not too long ago there was a member on here who tried to toilet train her cat and the cat refused to use the toilet. Even after reintroducing the litter box, they still went to the bathroom throughout the house. You can find that post if you use the search bar.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 07:40 PM
Senior Cat

I've toilet trained both mine... I recently used litter kwitter but I changed the training a bit based on my cat....

post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 07:43 PM
Senior Cat

And my previous experience. ... just a warning..... it takes a lot of patience... and dont believe that in two months they'll be fully trained ... its more like 5 months but its worth it to me... u can go on doggies litter kwitter forum to find out more info.... everyone here is completely against it

post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 07:51 PM
Cat Addict

We're not 'completely against it' we're appropriately cautious. I'm glad it's worked for you, but I don't know that it's sustainable long term.

For example, what will you do if you move? You may need to retrain the cat. Ditto if you ever need to replace the toilet.
What about when your cat gets old and has arthritis? They won't be able to jump onto the seat, let alone feel sturdy enough to do their business once up there.
What do you do if a slip into the toilet causes your cat to refuse to use the toilet anymore? We had a member whos cat refused litter boxes after being trained to use the toilet...it's a concern.

More personally...I'll never do it. My boys are 5 and I still can't trust them in the bathroom *eye roll*
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 08:10 PM
Senior Cat

My cat has used the toilet for 11 years... we have moved multiple times and it has actually been easier to monitor her waste for health concerns. .. I think ppl just jump to the bad stories they've heard because that's what they remember. .

post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 08:15 PM
Senior Cat

I've discussed with my vet about whether or not she needs a litter box in old age.. I plan on getting her a litter box... but she's never shown signs of needing one... she used a litter box at the vet while she was there but she prefers the toilet because she wasn't interested when I put one down for the new addition after we got them... asia has had many different toilet seats...my husband has left the seat up and she still used the seat... he got scolded though

post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 08:17 PM
Senior Cat

My vet has told me that we should wait til she shows signs of arthritis. .. She's incredibly agile for 12

post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina89 View Post
My cat has used the toilet for 11 years... we have moved multiple times and it has actually been easier to monitor her waste for health concerns. .. I think ppl just jump to the bad stories they've heard because that's what they remember. .
We're not jumping to bad stories, we're posting about what members here have gone through.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page